Klamath Lake fishing

O
ol tymer
OK, was just wondering. My son lives in Grants Pass and he tells me there are lots of boats over there for sale. He's scouting out for some crab traps for me so he gets out and about a lot. Don't know if you've checked the classifieds there or not. Luck to you on your trip to Redmond.

C
cougarjim
here's my new boat. 1993 19ft Bayliner with mercruse I/O
93Bayliner15-1.png
93Bayliner3-1.png

Last edited:
K
kfallscody
Nice looking boat, appears to be in great shape! I am will be getting a bimini top for ours here soon, I hope, as long as business stays good. :) I also see it has the snaps for a snap in bow cover, did the cover come with it? I have been thinking about one of those as well especially with these cold temperatures. You get quite the wind tunnel between the seats when going at speed.

Oh yeah and what size mercruiser does it have? :)

C
cougarjim
You know I don't know if the bow cover is in the boat. I was short on time and forgot to ask a few things. He told me the size of the Mercruise but I have already forgot. We just got in a few minutes ago, I will have to pull the cover off tomorrow and see what all is in there and what I will have to buy.

K
kfallscody
It is probably a 3.0 or larger(mine is the 3.0). I was more just curious than anything else. :) Also since there is only about 1000' difference between here and redmond, it should run pretty good with the prop and tune it has now.

It looks pretty complete, at least from what you can tell from those two pictures. I would imagine you wouldn't need much to get it out on the water. I don't see a fish finder at all but that is something that can be added easily enough. :) I also can't tell about rod holders but again, those aren't a huge deal to add from what I understand.

Looks like you got a great deal! You and your wife should feel very safe and secure in that boat. :)

C
cougarjim
Now that you mention it I remember it is a 3.0 . It does have a humminbird fish finder. All the safety stuff is there, Fire extengwisher,air horn, life jackets etc.
As far as the rod holders I will have to look tomorrow. I can always add them later.

JIm

Last edited:
K
kfallscody
Awesome, sounds like you did good. My 3.0 is not broken in yet so it might change as it gets worn in but it isn't what I would call a neck snapper.. but it does get up on plane pretty quick, less than 5 seconds I would say and that is without giving it full throttle. So it won't scream like your bass boat did but from what it sounds like, that might be a good thing :)

Weather is supposed to be pretty nice tomorrow. I have family stuff to attend do or I would be out on the lake myself :) Let us know if you take it out and how it does! :)

C
cougarjim
Yeah I will have to register it before I take it out. That's another $85.00 to the state marine board. He told me the engine is winterized and when I start it up antifreeze will come out of it.
What do you do to keep your engine from freezing with these cold nights? and if you drain the block, where is the drain cock?

Jim

C
cougarjim
Here is a picture of the engine.
93Bayliner13.png

K
kfallscody
Antifreeze?? hmmm, that is a little odd.. things must have changed since 1993. :)

Towards the front of my engine on the right hand side(as you are looking at the engine) there is are two blue hoses that connect to a piece of metal. I just disconnect those two hoses and let the water drain down into the bilge and that drains the engine completely. I do not see that in the picture you provided but the basic engine layout looks very similar. I can take a few pictures of what I am talking about tomorrow if you like. :)

C
cougarjim
That would be very much appreciated Cody.

H
Hawk
You did Great Bro Jim.

That is a Reel Beauty boat you have thar.

:D:D:D

:cool::cool::cool:

If the bimini canopy will adjust down close to the windshield, some folks that fish when it's cold, take aboard a Catalytic heater, for warmth. They usually put on some side curtains & back curtain to hold in the Warmth...:)

D
doublestrike
What we need next Jim is a updated photo with blood on the boat somewhere, then it is truly a fishing boat. You did great, hope to see you on the water real soon.

C
cougarjim
Thanks Hawk & doublestrike.

Jim

O
ol tymer
SWEET!! Jim. Great looking boat. Your post about the cooling system got me to thinking. My boat has an enclosed cooling system that is an aftermarket item. The previous owner had it installed because we live in very cold country. If you're interested in something like that, let me know and I'll see if I can find the paperwork on it.

C
cougarjim
Ol timer
I might be interested if it don't cost too much. You know these boats is a big money hole.

O
ol tymer
I know what you mean. Anyway, these are manufactured by San Juan Engineering and Manufacturing up in Bellingham, Wa. You can check out the website at Quality marine products and boat parts.

C
cougarjim
Yeah mine don't have the blue hoses. I see you have the reservoir for the gear lube. If mine has one I don't know where it is.

Any way I was reading on a Mercruiser forum about just draining the block. Some of the guys were saying they don't trust just draining the block. They say all of the water don't drain out so they put antifreeze in.

Jim

K
kfallscody
Yeah I know you can't just drain the block, the exhaust manifold needs drained as well. Is kind of a pain this time of year though to have to put antifreeze back in after each use.. you would think there would be an easier way around that.. or maybe I am just lazy :)

As far as the gear lube, the boat should have come with a manual for the engine and outboard that details the gear lube monitoring/changing process. I know mine came with a whole pile of literature but those things have a tendancy to vanish over the years.

The weather this week should be good for boating with lows just barely getting into freezing. That should make for a bit warmer water temperature towards the end of the week so I plan on hitting the lake again next weekend in search for some trout. :)

H
Hawk
kfallscody said:
Yeah I know you can't just drain the block, the exhaust manifold needs drained as well. Is kind of a pain this time of year though to have to put antifreeze back in after each use.. you would think there would be an easier way around that.. or maybe I am just lazy :)

As far as the gear lube, the boat should have come with a manual for the engine and outboard that details the gear lube monitoring/changing process. I know mine came with a whole pile of literature but those things have a tendancy to vanish over the years.

The weather this week should be good for boating with lows just barely getting into freezing. That should make for a bit warmer water temperature towards the end of the week so I plan on hitting the lake again next weekend in search for some trout. :)

Bro, is there any heated storage place in your area for boats, perhaps?

:)