Limit change at Paulina Lake

Irishrover
Irishrover
Paulina Lake prior to 1912 did not have a fish population. The first fish were introduced in July of 1912. They were rainbow trout. Since then, brook and brown trout along with kokanee have joined the rainbows. It's now a great place to fish once the snow clears. The change for the 2024 season is good news for anglers. You will be able to land five kokanee in addition to the five trout limit instead of a combined five fish limit. The change is on page 55 of the 2024 regulations. If you head up there this year do not forget to take your crawdad traps. The lake produces some good size crawdads.

Reactions: Admin, Hasa, Markk and 1 other person
S
sthrcave
That is great news! I did really well on the Kokes out there in 2023 with limits on every trip.
I have heard that there are monster trout in that lake and that the spring is the best time to chase them.
Does anyone have any advice on tactics for those? I was think about trolling flat fish or yakima maglips. I do really well in Prineville reservoir with both types of baits in the 1.5"-3" size.

Pic is my girlfriend with our limit of kokes from one morning out on Paulina.

• 20230707_124759(0).jpg
Reactions: Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
After fishing for Kokanee with hardware and slow trolling we like to switch to fly gear for trout. I've tried trolling Rapalas and the like for the big browns and a few rooster tails but end up going back to fly gear. The trout will have to wait until I finish my afternoon nap though. Seems the Kokanee do better in the early morning, and early morning fishing for me requires the afternoon nap!

Reactions: Admin
copperjohn
copperjohn
Never been there before. Going to make a trip out there and give it a go this year!