Divers???

J
joesnuffy
So now I'm trying to do some trolling on the Big C. in my kayak and have a question about divers. Salmon/Steelhead are the targets.

Here is the one that i currently own but havn't used. How do i fish with it?

I know that it dives 1ft for every 2 let i (or so the instructions said) but that's about it.

I don't know how long a leader to my gear, what types of gear to use.... blah blah blah. I'd like to here from people with experience with this or simular divers.

Thanks in advance.

R
RunWithSasquatch
This will be a long reply, in my opinion. If no one else drops any info on this, when I get back from errands I will make on a post. A lot of different applications for this. Im not sure the upper Big C is really the best application, since most fish that high will be right on the bottom. So knowing general location you plan to employ this technique will help also.

Thats more of a suspended fishing technique, ocean, bay. River current might not be the best.

Anyway, just my opinion.

J
joesnuffy
So you'd think that a downrigger type thing would be better? Argh! I already hate trolling :p but it's something i need to learn.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I just seen you were from Baker city, so you must be fishing one of the big pools behind a dam? That makes more sense to me, sorry for any confusion.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Well not exactly down rigger. It just depends on what type of water you will fish. When I first read your post I imagined you fishing around portland somewhere... Bonneville down anyway. And that is mostly a lead dropper show. Higher in the Columbia is a lot of slower pool water, atleast thats my take on it. And I could see a diver working in that application.

N
Noahk
Hey Joe. I would think that the additional drag from the driver would be a pain and would keep pulling you to one side. Why not sure run a dropper with 4-8 oz of lead, depending on current?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Noahk said:
Hey Joe. I would think that the additional drag from the driver would be a pain and would keep pulling you to one side. Why not sure run a dropper with 4-8 oz of lead, depending on current?

Those types of divers cause a lot of drag. Especially for how steep they dive, your rod will look like it has a fish on until a fish pops the 'clip'.

We use those divers in the ocean trolling for coho. I also know they use those at Bouy 10 on the Columbia, but thats really similar to fishing the ocean at times.

J
joesnuffy
I'll actually be fishing BELOW a dam so there will be current. 2 weeks ago i was trolling there, the depth was between 15-25 ft of water.

I was using some diving lures but couldn't really tell how deep they were going. It's a pain not having somebody experienced there to show you what to do.... Am I not catching fish because they are not biting or am I not catching fish because i'm an idiot? :p lol

I'd just like to know that my gear is in the "strike zone" more ofter then not.

N
Noahk
Just run this set up. With the rod in the rod holder, open the bail on your reel and let it hit bottom. Give it one or two cranks and continue to paddle upstream. Repeat as the depth of the river changes or to check that you are still right off the bottom. You should also be able to stop paddling and see your rod tip pop up as your dropper hits the bottom. You just want to bounce it every so often to make sure your dropper is just off the bottom and your lure is 12-24" from the bottom.

N
Noahk
Do you have a depth finder installed too?

J
joesnuffy
I definitely will give that a try. shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

And yes, I have a depth/fishfinder installed on the yak.... speaking of which, i should pull the battery and recharge before the weekend :p

A
alseaalumaweld
lead droped is what id use good link

T
Thuggin4Life
thats setup in the link should be your best bet. good luck. maybe google herring brines and brine a few different batches.

N
Noahk
Where abouts are you fishing? If you're fishing within an hour of two of Portland I might meet up with you sometime. However, I think most of the better bites have been in coastal waters. I've fished Tillamook Bay and Nehalem Bay over the last few of weeks if you're ever up for making the drive. Tillamook wasn't bad 3 weeks ago but it seems to have slowed over the last few weeks.

N
Noahk
Thuggin4Life said:
thats setup in the link should be your best bet. good luck. maybe google herring brines and brine a few different batches.
That high up on the Columbia I think most people are fishing spinners, but herring is great in the tidal waters.

J
joesnuffy
Noahk,

I've been fishing outside of Umatilla below McNary dam. Looks like it's about 186 miles from you. I've got a 2 hr drive each way to get there myself. I'm planning on being there both days this weekend. Hopefully.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Thuggin4Life said:

They get away from using herring as high as he is fishing for some reason. Use them weird super baits, not the cut plug ones, but the weird skinny banana shaped things, and other lures like that.

N
Noahk
joesnuffy said:
Noahk,

I've been fishing outside of Umatilla below McNary dam. Looks like it's about 186 miles from you. I've got a 2 hr drive each way to get there myself. I'm planning on being there both days this weekend. Hopefully.
Good luck. Too far for me.

T
Thuggin4Life
oh ok well the basic dropper weight setup with some leader to a lure should do the trick then. curious dont you have a trihull?

J
joesnuffy
Thuggin4Life said:
oh ok well the basic dropper weight setup with some leader to a lure should do the trick then. curious dont you have a trihull?

I sold that this spring to a friend, I've been fishing out of a Kayak since.... good times!!!