Just got a boat!

RiverWalker
RiverWalker
I just bought an older 16’ drift boat, taken it out to the lake a couple times, and umpqua landing where it’s mostly slack water with little current. I have a little experience with whitewater out of kayaks and pontoons, but I have yet to run a rapid in a boat. I’m looking for a 3-5 mile stretch of river down here (umpqua or rogue?..) that would be suitable for learning. Fairly forgiving? I don’t know anyone with rowing experience, so I’m teaching myself from YouTube and easing into it all. But I’m ready to do some steelhead fishing and I know there should be a few fish around by now. Also, if anyone in the area is interested in floating with me and giving me some pointers, you’ve got yourself a boat ride! (At your own risk lol) I so appreciate any information. Tight lines!

• 7EDDB541-8CBA-41DE-BBEF-B027B54AE1BA.jpeg
Reactions: troutdude, Chromatose and Admin
Chromatose
Chromatose
Congradulations and Good call on asking for pointers................................

Last edited:
Reactions: RiverWalker
troutdude
troutdude
^^^ What he said.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Reactions: RiverWalker
jamisonace
jamisonace
River Forks to Cleveland Rapids is what I would consider very easy. However, at this water level you will almost certainly rub bottom going into Cleveland and possibly hit a rock or two. It's just so low I doubt you could get into trouble. Enter the top, middle to middle right and pull right to go down the right side or you'll be pulling the boat over a gravel bar up high. No big deal if you get on gravel tho. Just wade it through.

You could go up to the forks and practice in the current there. You could even pull the boat upstream to get a little more practice.

RiverWalker
RiverWalker
jamisonace said:
River Forks to Cleveland Rapids is what I would consider very easy. However, at this water level you will almost certainly rub bottom going into Cleveland and possibly hit a rock or two. It's just so low I doubt you could get into trouble. Enter the top, middle to middle right and pull right to go down the right side or you'll be pulling the boat over a gravel bar up high. No big deal if you get on gravel tho. Just wade it through.

You could go up to the forks and practice in the current there. You could even pull the boat upstream to get a little more practice.
Shoot that sounds like just what I’m looking for. Given that there is some current.. Umpqua landing is very froggy. Think there is enough current on this stretch to get a good feel for it?

jamisonace
jamisonace
RiverWalker said:
Shoot that sounds like just what I’m looking for. Given that there is some current.. Umpqua landing is very froggy. Think there is enough current on this stretch to get a good feel for it?
There is very little current until you get above Cleveland. At that point you'll have plenty of current and decent rapids. You could also put in at Cleveland and easily row up to the top and row the current right off the beach. That way you wouldn't have to waste a lot of time in the frog water between The Forks and Cleveland. It will be a very slow float until you get to Cleveland.

Unfortunately, there are no perfect floats around Roseburg for what you're trying to do. Every float except Forks to Cleveland has at least one rapids that I would not consider beginner and the water is so low right now you can get into trouble if you don't know how to avoid obstacles or keep your boat on a line.

Last edited:
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
The water is probably not drift-able at the moment, but you might consider Tenmile Creek outside of Lakeside if you don't mind the drive. During winter steelhead season it is a super easy float. There are a couple of rocks, but for the most part it is a sand bottom and a decent river to learn on while throwing in the fishing aspect. The worst part about the whole float is the launch at Spinreel Campground. It is a decently steep sand bank that someone accidentally spilled some gravel on. Keep in mind that if you start at Spinreel and drift down you have to motor your way back upstream.