Detroit Lake report

O
OnTheFly
Too far to the water so I didn't fish....
random056.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
Kinda eerie, to see it like that at this time of the year!

J
JeannaJigs
Jeeze Jim where's your sense of adventure? Shoulda just lobbed a chunk of cheesy garlic powerbait out there (in chartreuse obviously) and you would've had some dinner.

S
Spydeyrch
Where's the water? I don't even see it. I haven't ever been to Detroit Lake so I am not familiar with the lake's location. But to me, it looks like it is all snow and some brown dirt. :think: :confused:

-Spydey

J
JeannaJigs
Spydeyrch said:
Where's the water? I don't even see it. I haven't ever been to Detroit Lake so I am not familiar with the lake's location. But to me, it looks like it is all snow and some brown dirt. :think: :confused:

-Spydey

It's a big ol' reservoir that they drain in the winter so there's a channel somewhere down below the horizon of those mud flats that still holds water and feesh. It's above the north santiam.

S
Spydeyrch
JeannaJigs said:
It's a big ol' reservoir that they drain in the winter so there's a channel somewhere down below the horizon of those mud flats that still holds water and feesh. It's above the north santiam.

They seriously drain the whole thing??!! :shock: WOW!! I would not want to walk out into that mud and silt. Good way to lose your boots .... socks ...... etc. :lol:

-Spydey

J
JeannaJigs
Spydeyrch said:
They seriously drain the whole thing??!! :shock: WOW!! I would not want to walk out into that mud and silt. Good way to lose your boots .... socks ...... etc. :lol:

-Spydey

not the whole thing haha but they drop it super low

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I hit an alert on this by accident recently checking Oregon State Marine Board info:

Big Cliff Dam
Waterbody Santiam River
Location (44.73109°, -122.26287°)
Managed By U. S. Army Corps of Engineers
Construction: Spillway gates are being repaired. The boat ramp is closed until further notice, per the Army Corps of Engineers.

not sure if this means that they have pulled down the water level at Detroit Lake to lower than normal.

also, checking the stocking schedule, it looked to me like Detroit Lake was getting loaded up nicely: April (50K), May (20K), June (32K). maybe this is normal for that lake?....(also noticed Breitenbush River getting 1800 per week from May 27 to end of July...)

C_Run
C_Run
Wow. I was thinking of schlepping up there with the kayak but will probably just skip it for now. Of course, whatever fish are there must be pretty concentrated with so little water. Has anyone fished it lately??

troutdude
troutdude
The owners of the Mill City sporting goods shop, are my clients. According to them (about 10 days ago), fishing has been excellent recently. The fish are highly concentrated in the river; out there somewhere in the "middle" of those flats.

Yes, it is heavily stocked on an annual basis.

If anyone heads up there: we'd love to hear a report.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
If I had some snow tires on my dodge I'd go out there:lol:

18406ej
18406ej
The Corps of Engineers also closed the Big Cliff boat ramp last year when they were supposedly repairing the gates. Why didn't they finish the work then? Something for you conspiracy-theory experts to look into.

The boat ramp at Big Cliff Reservoir is currently closed due to low water levels. Reservoir water level will be restricted until the dam's spillway gates are repaired. A repair schedule has not yet been identified. The ramp can be used to launch small boats if they can be carried to the water.

I don't recall ever seeing any powerboats on Big Cliff, but I have seen a lot of pontoons and canoes out there. The boat ramp is a primitive low-grade gravel ramp going down into the water. I have seen boaters ignore the water-level fluctuation warnings, park their cars and trailers at the low level while they are out on the lake and return to find the lake level way up and their cars submerged to a level up and over the lower door sills.

Fishing for Trout and Whitefish at Big Cliff can be slow, but on some days it can be very productive. This lake is one of the most scenic lakes in Marion County, if not the entire Willamette Valley. I have had very good luck (spinners and spoons) along the canal, which runs between the Dam and the parking area.

S
Steeliekiller
Fishing is usually great when the waters low like this. I was up there a couple weeks ago visiting family and pulled a few 14" in less than an hour fishing the fly from the bank.

bass
bass
Steeliekiller said:
Fishing is usually great when the waters low like this. I was up there a couple weeks ago visiting family and pulled a few 14" in less than an hour fishing the fly from the bank.

I doubt that I will try it, but would it be possible to wheel my kayak to the water there now? My kayak is not on a trailer but has a two wheeled cart that plugs into the scupper holes. I only need a gravelly walking path that is not too steep and does not have steps.

Also, is the water still lake like or is it just free flowing while they work on the gates.

Thanks,

John

O
OnTheFly
Steeliekiller said:
If you were to return to Detroit Lake in June and fish the Santiam arm right where the river comes in, you could catch fish like that all day long until your casting arm falls off. Launch your float tube, pontoon, etc. at the Santiam Flats campground and fish the arm from the river inlet and all along the length of the campground. I use slow sink line and streamers but I'm sure spinners, salmon eggs and worms will work. Note: keep all gear out of the water if you need time to eat or drink.

18406ej
18406ej
John-

It is easy to get anything down to the water, it has a nice low grade ramp. I haven't been to Big Cliff over this winter, but it is a re-regulating reservoir for the flow coming from Detroit Dam, so I don't think it is ever drained. Even during the gate repair last year it remained pretty much full. Send us pictures if you do go up there...if you have never seen it you will love it.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I drove up yesterday to check it out. It is VERY low right now. Unless you are really into mud/muck wading, about the only option I saw was trying your luck at the dam. Big Cliff looked a lot better. Also checked out Breitenbush. I was able to walk all the way out to the channel, so it is fairly low, but accessible. Good luck if you venture out to fish any of them.

C_Run
C_Run
q0zhoHR.jpg

Piety Island 2/15

JYXwaDf.jpg

Lake bed 2/15. Hardly anyone there fishing last Friday. Gravel ramp left of main ramp at Mongold is clear.

H
HereFishy
Hey all.. Had a decent day today. I fished the first bridge after you drive over the dam. I used mainly shrimp and I'd throw a worm every once in a while. They were hitting EVERYTHING. At one point I was experimenting with a bare hook just for s**ts and giggles. There were only a few other people on the bridge for most of the day. All in all it was a peaceful, relaxing day.

image.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
anyone have any info on Detroit Lake area now that we are into June? water level, fishing results...