Any tips for a newbie on the Kilchis?

D
Davpot
I was on the Trask 2 wks ago at Lorens and saw a good number of chinook being taken! They seemed a little dark, but surprising to see chinook this late! Someone told me numerous fish were visible! So lets not kill the goose that lays the Golden Egg!
Dave

O
olshiftybiscuits
troutdude said:
Yep. They have been dumping THOUSANDS of "trophy trout" into Detroit. Some of which, could head up that river.

When using spinners...if you don't lose some on each trip...then your spinners aren't in the strike zone. And most people reel them in way too fast. Which also defeats their purpose. Words of wisdom from Oregon's spinner guru Jed Davis.

They Breitenbush and North Santiam rivers are both stocked generously above Detroit. The issue with the Breitenbush is access. It looks like a nuclear bomb went off in that canyon. There are one or two places you can make it down, and they’re absolutely loaded with pellet head rainbows.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
olshiftybiscuits said:
They Breitenbush and North Santiam rivers are both stocked generously above Detroit. The issue with the Breitenbush is access. It looks like a nuclear bomb went off in that canyon. There are one or two places you can make it down, and they’re absolutely loaded with pellet head rainbows.
Good looking out. I wasn't sure if that road is open again, for recreational use. The inferno of 2020 really torched that place!

scched
scched
Casting Call said:
This is what I ALWAYS do, is paint the underside of the blade with a reflective marking of some sort as to enhance the flash behind the tail. Like a target, target circle. Tony
Do you have a picture of what you mean by this? I do a lot of spinner fishing and am currently not doing anything like this

troutdude
troutdude
Jed Davis actually puts different colored tape on the front of his blades. But it serves the same purpose either way...to make the lure look different...all of a sudden...to entice a strike. CC may mean something like this:

• Love
Reactions: Casting Call and scched
scched
scched
I need to re-read that book, I read it when I first moved here and started fishing 8 years ago, I bet I would learn entirely different things now with a new perspective

Casting Call
Casting Call
See Troutdude's vid. scc that's it exactly! the front/top of the blade is for flash to trigger a response. The underside is what the pescal will chase as a target. The long bead I replace with a store bought fish oil pill from Rx department. Some contain several oils, anchovie,sardine and herring. read the label for contents, then I wrap with stretch thd. It milks itself and turns white, dissolves and the trd. holds the swivel. What do you think? Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
scc for the underside use a paper punch dots, cut thin paper arrows> of single sided tape of florescent or UV tape. Tony

Reactions: troutdude and scched
scched
scched
You got all the tricks! You got your own book coming out soon too?! Lol. Appreciate the tips. Tight lines my friend

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: troutdude and Casting Call
John3
John3
. . . it may be counter intuitive but fishing a spinner on the swing leaving to dead drift is mighty effective . . .

( I only mend the line to stay off the bottom. )

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
scched said:
I need to re-read that book, I read it when I first moved here and started fishing 8 years ago, I bet I would learn entirely different things now with a new perspective
Yes. I bought a first edition, in the 80's. I understand new things whenever I digest the contains again.

Reactions: scched
troutdude
troutdude
scched said:
You got all the tricks! You got your own book coming out soon too?! Lol. Appreciate the tips. Tight lines my friend
I'd be tempted to buy one...

Casting Call
Casting Call
scched said:
. You got all the tricks! You got your own book coming out soon too?! Lol. Appreciate the tips. Tight lines my friend
See my comments on past OFF postings: Aug 9-2020 by Slabjig "a better shrimp fly", and Nov 7-8 2022 "MORE TO COME". Tried to generate some interest in my style over the years, but no numbers in replies so I stopped " MORE TO COME". Tony