Coho salmon on the Columbia river

T
Troutier Bassier
How far do you need to cast?

Actually, I think I could get a Spinning Rod. It will look really REALLY stupid though.

A Eclipse.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
How far do you need to cast?

Actually, I think I could get a Spinning Rod. It will look really REALLY stupid though.

A Eclipse.

You need to cast far enough. That is all I can say. It would be great if you could cast the weight of a barrel swivel, 2 hooks and a corkie with 1 inch of yarn 20 feet.

T
Troutier Bassier
I can do that, But my rods are Better for casting Bobbers. I can cast a Bobber rig Purty Far.

O
OnTheFly
Hey FishSchooler, I always wondered if there was a way to hike to the mouth of Cedar Cr. from the east side of the Sandy to avoid fording the river. Just got out of Google Earth and it looks like there's not. Or is there?

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
OnTheFly said:
Hey FishSchooler, I always wondered if there was a way to hike to the mouth of Cedar Cr. from the east side of the Sandy to avoid fording the river. Just got out of Google Earth and it looks like there's not. Or is there?

Not sure, if I think I understand what you are saying

O
OnTheFly
OK, if we're talking about Cedar Cr where it runs into the Sandy then the usual place to access it is walking down from the hatchery then crossing the river at the bottom of the trail.

F
FishSchooler
OnTheFly said:
OK, if we're talking about Cedar Cr where it runs into the Sandy then the usual place to access it is walking down from the hatchery then crossing the river at the bottom of the trail.

You dont need to cross the river if you just want to fish the mouth of CC

O
OnTheFly
Well perhaps it's different now. I't's been a long time since I've fished there and because you can't fish in the creek itself, the pool just below the mouth was the closest you could be. If you didn't cross the Sandy up stream then you couldn't get below Cedar Cr to fish.

O
OnTheFly
The other thing I forgot to mension was, as you know, the coho's will stack up like cord wood along that stretch of river and the mouth of Cedar Cr is one out of many slots to get them. I once crossed back across the Sandy well below Cedar and was practically using the backs of fish as stepping stones! Anyway, one side is steep and the other isn't so I've always wondered if there was another way down.

F
FishSchooler
To fish below Cedar creek... you have to cross the creek. Im still kind of confused, but oh well! :D

O
OnTheFly
Wow!:confused: It must have really changed down there over the years but still, if you want to fish the Sandy downstream from CC, crossing the river would give you more bank opertunities down stream right? Look at google earth. I would cross above the island then fish just below it.

F
FishSchooler
OnTheFly said:
Wow!:confused: It must have really changed down there over the years but still, if you want to fish the Sandy downstream from CC, crossing the river would give you more bank opertunities down stream right? Look at google earth. I would cross above the island then fish just below it.

Ooohh, you are talking about anywhere below cedar, I thought you were talking about fishing just right below cedar creek right where it dumps into the sandy. Then you are right! People who cross get way more room to fish.

T
TXfishingguy
Can someone tell me what yarn is used for? I am new to this salmon thing. Also could someone show me their typical rig?

Thanks

O
OnTheFly
OK then, back to my original thought, is there access to fish that side of the Sandy without crossing it?

T
Troutier Bassier
Yarn gets stuck in Steelheads teeth so they can't spit it out as fast so it gives you more time to set the Hook.

T
TXfishingguy
ohh ok. Makes sense. How do you rig that on your line for drift fishing? or do you use when float fishing also?

A
autofisher
TXfishingguy said:
Can someone tell me what yarn is used for? I am new to this salmon thing. Also could someone show me their typical rig?

Thanks

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have learned that a typical rig just depends on where you're fishing, time of year, water level and clarity. Trust me, I've thrown practically everything at the fish except the tackle box ( only reason that didn't go is because Raincatcher caught my arm) Mostly I've been throwing spinners, but have tried switching it up to drifting a rig and even tried plunking some of the other pools. Honestly from what I can tell, it's not always the gear that you're chuckin out there, it's the technique, reading the water and placement of the gear. I started salmon and steelhead fishing just a couple years ago and the biggest help that I got was going into tackle shops and looking at rigs they had for examples and then letting my imagination take it from there. I know that there will be plenty of posts to follow mine that will more than help you out.

A
autofisher
TXfishingguy said:
ohh ok. Makes sense. How do you rig that on your line for drift fishing? or do you use when float fishing also?

If you know how to tie an egg loop then you can just run it through the loop itself. It also helps pull the loop out when you're changing your bait

F
Fishtopher
OTF; No. Access from hatchery only. As far as I know. That hole below the creek, around the corner kinda, on the other side of the river is the Slaughter Hole. There is a few places you can get away from the crowds down there.

O
OnTheFly
Oh well. I kinda thought so. Looks like one could get there through the farmers field. Prolly get shot without permission.:shock: