Beginner fly fishing questions opinions comments

J
jimmy
bigboy70 said:
what weight rod can you use for steelhead and salmon?
i would like a one handed rod not a spay rod and seen lots of different options and opinions i was thinking a 7 or 8
but what brands are decent and same question for reels (i know gloomis make a good spinning and bait casting rod but it could be different for fly fishing)

Id recommend you try some gear out hands on either go out with someone who will let you use their gear for a few casts or drop the duckets on a guide for a day everyone has different preferences on brands and as long as you don't go cheap most will work fine for you get on the water fling a few sticks around and decide what feels right for you

good luck

(edit to add punctuation ---> , . . , . )

B
bigboy70
Thanks for the advice Jimmy. Looks like I'm going to have to buy one.
Nobody I know fly fishes unfortunately.

J
jimmy
bigboy70 said:
Nobody I know fly fishes unfortunately.

Well I do, although mostly for trout, and if you ever want to try out one of my sticks your welcome to.

Keep an eye on the forum and you might just see an invite some day.

It never hurts to offer an invite on the forum either, I know a few folks who throw flies around OC that target steel and chrome. Would you buy a car without at least taking a drive around the block?

Be patient, don't just go out and drop the cash without having some personal experience to base your purchase on.

I hate the idea of a fly rod that gets used twice and gathers dust somewhere.

At the VERY LEAST: go hire a guide for a 1/2 day trip and see if you dig the whole fly thing....

jimmy

B
bigboy70
Well I do own a 5/6 weight (cheap flyrod brand escapes me) and would love to just fly fish.
I learned how to cast and practiced quite a bit.
You bring up good points Jimmy, never quite thought of it like that.
I'm totally ok with fly fishing for trout (main species I fish for anyways)
Which would probably be a good idea going for trout. because I'm pretty confident in my trout skills.
If your ever out fishing toward my neck of the woods. I would love to get some hands on experience with fly fishing

Thanks again Jimmy