Your first fish / fishing trip?

troutdude
troutdude
My first fishing experience, that I can readily recall, was one with my dad. We lived in Philomath in those days. And we could only go on weekends. But, that week pops told me that he was gonna take me cat fishing.

The night before our trip, I was excited. A chance to spend time with my old man, and see what fishing was all about. My mind was obviously working overtime. As I slept, I conjured up visions of reeling in a fish that looked just like Felix the Cat! As a 5 or maybe 6 year old punk, I had no other point of reference. :lol:

So, the next morning we got up early. We hopped into the truck and made our down to the Finley Wildlife Refuge (south of Corvallis). I'm not sure, but I don't think it was an actual refuge back then.

Anyway, we plunked our bait into the water. And it didn't take long. BAM! Fish on! Boy oh boy, was I ever surprised to see what a cat really looked like...tweren't no "Felix"! :shock: :lol: We kept on fishing for quite a spell. We wound up taking them home and tossing 'em into the bath tub, until we could clean em and get em ready for the dinner table.

What a great day!

So, what was your first fish and / or fishing experience like?

T
TTFishon
That's way better than my first fishing experience. Mine consisted of tying about 6 feet of fishing line around an old pole I found and using a safety pin for a hook. lol

V
viento
My grandmother had old hats with feathers, and somehow, I received a fly-tying kit
(anything to keep me busy) and I got my mom to stop at Scappoose Creek on Highway 30,
where I tormented the little trout with my wafting wonders, fished wet with my little
Zebco closed-face spinning setup, and actually caught one.

Time being in a haze, I may have caught a trout before that, at the wonderful old
Weatheralls Trout Farm, hidden in a wooded are that once existed near PDX airport.
Bamboo poles and worms, with Waxwings, Meadowlarks, Goldfinches and dragon flies,
paradise for 5 year olds!

S
starthere
This experience will in my mind forever.

R
RunWithSasquatch
C_Run
C_Run
BUSTED!

I was nine and visiting with two friends one of whom lived at Sixes River. We decided to go trout fishing. Nobody really knew how or had any idea that there was a season or regulations (it was March). We didn't catch anything or at least did not have anything on us when ,walking back on HWY 101 rods in hand, we were spotted by the State Police and all given citations. Actually they were written warnings. The officer was Wayne Krieger who is currently the state rep. from that district. I still have the ticket in my files as a souvenir.