Your favorite method/ technique for springers?

C
cobias
The whole line thing is hilarious. Back when i started fishing with my dad 70's/80's we used 10lb maxima chameleon for pulling plugs ( hot shots ) and if we were on the umpqua or mack , hed go down to 8lb. I dont ever remember breaking off a springer or steelhead with him. We were in a boat btw so that does make a difference. But maxima and Berk XT is tough stuff 10 breaks at close to 20lbs. Or if you use a casting rod you can use 10lb p-line cxx. It breaks at like 23lbs. And the whole " turn a fish" thing is kind of a funny term. Even the guides that are using ultra soft mooching rods in the bays while using 80lb braid and 40lb mono leaders arent really "turning" fish. You dont turn a hot fresh 35lb chinnok. You tire him and work him to the boat. If you say you turn them, go get your favorite lamiglas and try lifting up 30lb + of weight. I doubt anyone would do that. Heck , most drags dont tighten down that tight. What "turn" is and what it actually means might be two different things.

I have caught my fare share of salmon and steelhead and can remember almost every break off because ive only broke off a few times. Plenty of came unbuttoned but not break. And most of the breaks were due to bonehead moves .

And its especially a non issue with these hatch springers . They arent as big as natives.

Also , we kinda hijacked this thread into a spinner thread. If im bouncing or drifting eggs for springers , 15 lb is the max for me. But with spinners you have to take into account the downstream belly created by high diameter line. If you used 20 lb mono your spinner would blow downstream. And with braid , i dont know , a hot fish slamming your spinner with braid has the potential for bad results imo.

We're hitting it monday so maybe ill be lucky enough to hook up. If so ill try to vid the fight.

J
Jordy
Turning a fish means when you need to stop a fish that is going to spool you because you are fishing on the bank.

I posted a fish last month that I had to turn multiple times because I was out of bank. That fish would have never happened without 15 lb ultragreen. I fish a pretty popular river and its full of 15lb fish that are full of **** and vinegar. Lots of them have an extra fin and should be landed quickly to minimalize mortality as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jamisonace
jamisonace
Fish come unbuttoned because you have to play them too long with light line. Probably wouldn't happen as often if you didn't have to worry about your line. And yes, Jordy is right. You control fish by turning their heads.

J
Jordy
jamisonace said:
Fish come unbuttoned because you have to play them too long with light line. Probably wouldn't happen as often if you didn't have to worry about your line. And yes, Jordy is right. You control fish by turning their heads.
Ah thats a good point too. Every second longer a fish is on is another run, jump or shake that can turn into a lost fish. Or another chance for the fish to rub your line on rocks, cut banks or GIANT SECTIONS OF MONO. Lol this last few dayss I have hooked into hundreds of feet of snagged up mono.

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:

I like to play my fish quick! Show them whats up when you get them hooked, unless you get into one of those hot fish that is just too good for the battle your about to put up. I never and rarely break off fish. The main and number 1 reason why i broke mine off the other day was bad judgement on my low and beat up line. I fish 10lb 90% of the time when hardware fishing and land damn near all my fish. The fact that i was being lazy about my line is what cost me the fish and spinner. But hey it's part of fishing and i hook plenty and land plenty of fish so its fine with me.

Fish hot sillvers in the fresh with 8lb and 10lb test and never broke off a fish. It was all fisherman error on my part! haha. But like i said before heavier is never a bad thing.

C
cobias
We didn't go today. I dont like my fish pre cooked . Its kind of a moot point from here on out. Found a better fishery. Anyone want to buy a bunch of spinners ? Half price ?

J
Jordy
cobias said:
We didn't go today. I dont like my fish pre cooked . Its kind of a moot point from here on out. Found a better fishery. Anyone want to buy a bunch of spinners ? Half price ?
Watha got?

B
Bouncinbottom
Um, I just wanted to know what some of the more appreciated TECHNIQUES were. Any why you love it. I've already seen enough mono vs. braid threads to vomit.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I havent done a lot of springer fishing but back bouncing eggs was fun, once I got the hang of it.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Bouncinbottom said:
Um, I just wanted to know what some of the more appreciated TECHNIQUES were. Any why you love it. I've already seen enough mono vs. braid threads to vomit.
Sorry to disappoint. I thought you got some pretty good opinions to your non specific question.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

J
Jordy
Bouncinbottom said:
What a nice way to thank everyone for their input. I wouldnt expect much input from the nice folks on this forum in the future...

B
Bouncinbottom
Aha! Here are the results...It looks like we love our spinners for salmon (overwhelmingly). Drifting/ bouncing roe appears to be the second place finisher. I'm a little surprised no one mentioned herring or plugs. We are also passionate about our preference in fishing line. And we get get cranky when we stay up too late.