Your biggest cutthroat?

brandon4455
my biggest was in a lake it was 22 inches and iguessing it was atleast 2 1/2 lbs caught with a worm on the bottom. and my biggest stream fish was 20 inches it was a little more slim then the lake cutt got it on a small red bead wth pink yarn and shrimp scent . and my dads biggest was 24 inches. sea run on the salmon river small black wiggle wart.

Last edited:
colbypearson
like 12" lol

rippin fish lips
Mine was 21" caught on a worm on the good ol' mckenzie river, nice and fat too. Caught it the same day i caught and landed my first steelhead :D :)

TTFishon
Not sure if this one really counts but I caught a 24 incher on half a nightcrawler in an old hatchery rearing pond. Other than that, a 19 incher fishing a worm on the bottom.

skunk
colbypearson said:
like 12" lol

:) me to colby! But don't laugh, we gotta stick together.

colbypearson
skunk said:
:) me to colby! But don't laugh, we gotta stick together.

yup haha my biggest chinook is like 6" so i dont anything to brag about on that note either

troutramp
my largest cuttie was an Apache probably 4lbs 20-21 inches. How bout a thread on how many different species of cutthroat one has caught? I have caught only 4? different species including the searun, west slope, Apache, and gila trout. I plan on catching many more species of cutthroat.

beaverfan
Are you sure man, I lived in Phoenix for 2 and 1/2 years and I'm pretty sure that both Gila and Apache aren't a cutthroat but an entirely different species of trout.

Oh and the biggest cuttie I've got was about a 23-24 inches out of the Wilson.

brandon4455
beaverfan said:
Are you sure man, I lived in Phoenix for 2 and 1/2 years and I'm pretty sure that both Gila and Apache aren't a cutthroat but an entirely different species of trout.

Oh and the biggest cuttie I've got was about a 23-24 inches out of the Wilson.

wow! thats a whopper jay! not sure about gila but i know apache is not a subspecies of cutthroat

beaverfan
I think gila and apache are very closely related. I'll google it and see what I find. The big un I got was about 4 years ago when I just started getting heavy into fishing. That was the fish that got me "hooked"! The funny thing is I was so dang excited and wanted a picture so bad I kinda forgot to pay attention to the fish and off he flopped into the water.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about Gila and Apache trout.

The gila trout (Oncorhynchus gilae gilae) is one of two subspecies of trout in O. gilae, the other being the Apache trout (O. g. apache). Both are native to the Southwest United States. The gila trout is a species of salmonid, related to the rainbow and cutthroat trouts. It is an endangered species.

Last edited:
troutramp
The book by Dr Behnke? lists them both as cutthroat, the wiki article describes them as having a cutthroat marking under the jaw, so I am pretty sure they are a cutthroat in fact i am positive. The Gila and Apache differ mostly in native watershed they are very simiar. There are cutthroat in Mexico The Yaqui, The bavispe, the mexican golden, i dont know if they are included in the 20 recognized subspecies of cutties but they are on my bucket list (there are actually some mexican trout not listed here).

beaverfan
Well I can find zero reference to either the Gila or Apache being a subspecies of Cutthroat. In fact they have a completely different scientific name, the Cutthroat is Oncorhynchus clarkii, the Gila is Oncorhynchus gilae gilae and the Apache is Oncorhynchus gilae apache. Here's a list of all the known Cutthroat subspecies.

halibuthitman
7 lbs.. west slope cutt, Bull River Montana..

brandon4455
good lord brad.. thats a pig! did you get it on a fly? i bet it was the battle of a lifetime

Troutski
Cutties...

Cutties...

Love all the talk of Cutties.....Great fish to catch, I've been very blessed when it comes to Cut Throat Trout. Cut my angling teeth on small creeks, didn't like heavy water.
Some of the lake fish I have caught over the years have been absolute hogs, Native fast water Cut Throat run some what smaller.
Leaburg lake produced a 25 incher on a Rooster Tail, 21 inch on Little Fall Creek using a Fire Dot Sneak from Luhr Jensen.
Great Thread...wonderful subject.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Chuck

brandon4455
Troutski said:
Love all the talk of Cutties.....Great fish to catch, I've been very blessed when it comes to Cut Throat Trout. Cut my angling teeth on small creeks, didn't like heavy water.
Some of the lake fish I have caught over the years have been absolute hogs, Native fast water Cut Throat run some what smaller.
Leaburg lake produced a 25 incher on a Rooster Tail, 21 inch on Little Fall Creek using a Fire Dot Sneak from Luhr Jensen.

Chuck

thanks chuck and 25inch? thats a beast! i also have a passion for cutthroat it all started when i moved to my current loaction, we use to go to the park there in town when i was little. and i noticed tha same creek a few blocks from my house the first week we moved to town, the first two years i fished it i caught around 1-7 fish a trip and now 4 years later im catching up to 20 fish a day .. i love it..untouched beatiful small creek loaded with 7-22 inch native cutthroat i'd have to say it's the best stretch of water ive ever found.. and thats how my love for the cutthroat trout began and still grows

Last edited:
troutramp
beaverfan said:
Well I can find zero reference to either the Gila or Apache being a subspecies of Cutthroat. In fact they have a completely different scientific name, the Cutthroat is Oncorhynchus clarkii, the Gila is Oncorhynchus gilae gilae and the Apache is Oncorhynchus gilae apache. Here's a list of all the known Cutthroat subspecies.

Well none of them carry the scientific name "cutthroat" I guess if you only consider "O Clarki" as a cutthroat then yes the "O gila" is a different species, but then Cutthroat is only a nickname so you can name your dog "cutthroat" and it is as much a cutthroat as anything else or you could argue that there is no such thing as a cutthroat. However some consider a trout that has a "slash" of orange or reddish color under the jaw, a maxilary that extends past the eye and the presence of teeth located on the back of the tongue a "cutthroat trout" then the Apache trout share those characteristics and could likewise be nicknamed a "cutthroat trout".

Modest_Man
Well...it's not very large but I caught this guy in the beginning of a day where I landed over 100 (stopped counting at 85, buddy got about 30) of Yellowstone cutthroat in the Lamar River. So if you add up total daily cutthroat weight... :p

100_2565.jpg

100_2566.jpg

100_2573.jpg

Man that was a good day...
100_2576.jpg
And yes, I dress for success in the Yellowstone back country.

michigan_transplant
IMG_4008.jpg

Not the biggest one talked about on here but it was my first sea run. Friend had been telling me to go for them in late summer. Took my float tube down way down on the Alsea. Brought a trolling rig with some worms. First cast out it didn't even hit the get to the bottom and fish one. Thing went nuts too, GREAT FIGHTERS!!!! Wouldn't you know I fished for another 5 hours that day and didn't catch anything else. hahhaa, first cast is all i needed i guess.

TTFishon
Troutski said:

Chuck

I wonder if there's a connection with mine which I caught and released right across the street.:think:

Top Bottom