Yellow perch fishing

D
DG1959
Slayed a tub full of perch, some were 12 inch… kept more than I should have. One of the best eating fish. Anyone else fish for these?

G
Gulfstream
All the time.Where did you go? The limit is 15 What kind,Pink Fin?

bass
bass
I was guessing he meant yellow perch.

Reactions: rogerdodger
D
DG1959
Yellow…. No limit. Otherwise this would be in “saltwater fishing” but I do catch a lot of pink fin surf perch, from the beach’s… lol

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have only targeted yellow perch a couple of times. The ones I seem to catch never seem to get much larger than about 10". They have been a fun fight, and a tasty fish. Just not something I have targeted a whole lot for some reason.

C
Cohobolo
I'm interested in trying for some yellow perch this winter/early spring. Can anyone point me in the right direction and some tips on what to use? Can send me a message if you prefer. Thanks.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Anytime I have ever targeted them I have been using night crawlers. Typically rigged on a small hook with enough weight about the swivel to drop you to the bottom. Then reel up a crank or two and wait.

C_Run
C_Run
Same here, worm. I have caught them by accident on small spinners.

Casting Call
Casting Call
With perch the bigger the bait, the bigger the perch. Ever see a little fish swallow a whole shrimp but let a 10lb fish come along and whamo!!!!!!! Tie hooks as close to the main line as possible less wiggle, hence easy target in turbulent surf water. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
If structure fishing for perch use barnacles, place hook at end of main line use no weight pitch at structure let fall naturally and just out of sight then game on. Tony

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
@Casting Call I would agree with you for saltwater perch, but the original post was for yellow perch and freshwater.

Reactions: Casting Call
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Tenmile Lakes have some pretty good ones. Perch overpopulate quickly and the result is a trillion five inch adult perch.

Tenmile has a very robust population of decent size bass, a lot of two to four pounders. It must help the average size of the perch a bit. I’ve caught a fair number of perch on full size bass lures out there, and perch that eat bass baits are usually not five inch specimens.

Personally I’ve always done just as well on perch with small lures as with bait, sometimes better if the bite is on. They do tend to relate strongly to weed lines, not that that’s very helpful in lakes that are a hundred miles of weed lines, but keep your eyes open if there is clarity to the water, they will follow baits and give themselves away, and often ten or twenty will follow hooked fish back to the boat.

Keep as many as you can, they get bigger if you do. You can’t overfish perch with a rod and reel.

S
Snopro
Yellow perch? Make the drive. Cascade lake Idaho.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Man, I love some fried perch, but dang that’s a long drive… 😬

C
Cohobolo
Field tested my new fillet table today at Woahink.

• 20220127_145340.jpg
Reactions: LazyBrewer, Admin, Shaun Solomon and 1 other person
C_Run
C_Run
So, what did you end up using? I drive past Woahink often but never fished it, in fact, I've never eaten a yellow perch. How big are those? Good job!

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Nice! Looks like you got ‘em deep, barotrauma.

C_Run, git you some. Much better than walleye, and folks won’t shut up about walleye.

jamisonace
jamisonace
C_Run said:
So, what did you end up using? I drive past Woahink often but never fished it, in fact, I've never eaten a yellow perch. How big are those? Good job!
Lets meet up sometime with my sled and try to find some.

C
Cohobolo
Worms on a #4 gamakatsu bait holder. 68 feet deep. The largest ones were 10 to 10 1/2. I missed or lost three for every one I brought in. Gorgeous day, no wind most of the time and 55 degrees.

Reactions: jamisonace
C_Run
C_Run
Yeah. The ones I have caught are all about 5 or 6" but those look like they would be worthwhile to have a fish fry.