Winter steelie

Q
Quizzrules
Hey what set up should I be using for winter steelie right now? Right now I have a 12-24 mainline with 12 lb leader 3/5 oz weight and size 4 copper blue fox spinner. This is my first year on the clack so I am pretty inexperienced.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i would keep 12 lb mainline but use a 8-10lb leader straight to the lure. i would use size 3 for spinners you dont need anye xtra weight on the leader with the spinner

W
waco
Use 10 lbs leader and get rid off the weight!!! And I would suggest bobber and jigs too!!

S
SantiamDrifter
The setup you have right now is popular for throwing spinners for chinook in tide water. But when you get into a river your gunna have to change it up a bit. I'm guessing you have a mono mainline. For winter's anything in the 10-15 pound range will do just fine..... Braids a whole other story. You want to run your spinners stright to your mainline, no wait required. You should stock up and 3's and 4's, hell even some 5's for those muddy water days.

Q
Quizzrules
Ok thanks for all the suggestions.:) I'll be sure to try that.

O
OnTheDrop
ive grown up on the clackamas spending almost everyday i could there.. I would only use size 3 in slow moving water. Try out those size 4 and 5's. Copper, Silver, Get some green and blue and whatever color tape and put little pieces of tape on them making them even more appealing. I would stay with 10-12 pound mono line as well. And like waco said... Get out that bobber rod.. : )

Q
Quizzrules
What about bobber and jig? I was at Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor and a good friend of mine who happens to be a guide said to bobber and jig for steelhead by high rocks. And if I do go bobber and jig how much line should I have between my bobber and my jig?

Last edited: