Winter fishing around Portland help

J
jeff625
I've lived in Portland for about 5 years now, and this is the first time I've actually looked into any winter fishing around here.

I'm having difficulty figuring out what sort of fishing people Oregonians can do during the winter. I know steelhead is the big thing everyone is excited about right now, but what about more casual anglers without a combined permit? Is there anything else?

Any suggested spots that are fishable this time of year?

Thanks

F
fishOregon
I live in milwaukie and have been fishing for mountain white fish recently over at elk rock since I do not have combined tag. .Fishings been good lately couple days ago I caught 3 12 inchers within five minuts of each other thinking about fishing it tomorrow . good luck and tight lines -Mitch

Reactions: Raincatcher
C
catfishman89
I catch whitefish on the multnomah channel too. There fun to catch. I caught one that was 16 inches long. On uktralight tackle its a blast to catch them. I just use nightcrawler on a drop shot with about 1/2 oz weight. I catch some catfish and carp too and a occasional perch. Just dunk some worms on a clear day and see what happens. Rivers seem to have more active fish than lakes this time of year.

Reactions: Raincatcher
J
jeff625
Thanks guys. I am in SW, so tomorrow I think I'll check out Elk Rock, and then maybe next weekend try out Multnomah Channel.

brandon4455
brandon4455
if you guys are talking about the willamette and columbia i don't believe there are any mountain whitefish to be found. there are northern pikeminnow and peamouth chubs,both look similar to whitefish.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
You can always do some Sturgeon fishing. the Willamette is catch and release but great fishing... we hooked up 20 times yesterday in about 4 hours..
Good luck

Reactions: waco
J
jeff625
fishOregon said:
I live in milwaukie and have been fishing for mountain white fish recently over at elk rock since I do not have combined tag. .Fishings been good lately couple days ago I caught 3 12 inchers within five minuts of each other thinking about fishing it tomorrow . good luck and tight lines -Mitch

Mitch - I went out to Elk Rock for about 5 hours this morning, and I did see quite a few fish jumping but I couldn't get them to go after anything. What were you using (if you don't mind my asking)?

F
fishOregon
Jeff- Dang man yea sometimes the fish just dont want to bite lol. No I dont mind at all man .Was using your basic 2 split shots and a little bit of nightcrawler . Just sink it to the bottom and let the current take it. Brandon might be right thou it might have benn chubs I was catching . Ima try and get up there and slay some fish this weekend. Fish by the sign on the island on the backside.-Good luck and tight lines