Wilson steelhead advice

M
Mutiny
It looks like work will be slow through the holidays and I'll have some days off to go fishing. I'd like to make a trip to the Wilson and would appreciate some advice on what areas of the river to target for winter steel right now. I'll be casting a Spey and have both floating and sink tip line, any suggestions on good fly patterns for the water would be great to!!

T
TimberTodd
I've been swinging some different wets and leeches without any success. The water Saturday was low clear and cold. I am going to try some beads this weekend if I make it out. Good luck to you.

M
Mutiny
Let me know how you do! How low on the river are you fishing? I've only fished the Wilson for trout further up, and am looking for a general deadline of how far up fish might be right now.

J
jesse202505
TimberTodd said:
I've been swinging some different wets and leeches without any success. The water Saturday was low clear and cold. I am going to try some beads this weekend if I make it out. Good luck to you.
I tried wet flies last weekend too with no luck. Spotted a few steel and plenty of spawning salmon. I was also planning on trying beads too. Picked some up today along with some sinking tip poly leaders.never used them before. I've been having trouble getting my flies to the bottom. Good luck with the beads!

O
OnTheDrop
You want to get into fish for sure, fish some beads 8-12mm. I've caught them 25 miles up the river this time of year. I would fish between MM 12-22 though. . .

C
ChezJfrey
The Wilson super skinny right now and I would think that one would have to know those few deeper spots to find any and swinging might not be feasible in those particular spots? Beads and other drifted methods might be better.

If swinging is the game, it seems lower in the system would be the best bet until the water comes up.

Just thinking out loud...

T
TimberTodd
jesse202505 said:
Picked some up today along with some sinking tip poly leaders.

I picked up a fast sinking and extra fast sinking ploy leader for last weekends trip. I ran a 4' - 5' piece of 3X tippet off the poly leader. It handled well casting.

T
TimberTodd
Mutiny said:
How low on the river are you fishing?

I started around mile post 14 and worked my way up.

M
Metz84
Try adding a night crawler with the bead. I had very good success last year on the Wilson in low clear water using that setup. Also don't hesitate to try a small corky with yarn either. Both methods were drift fishing.