Wilson, some humor, no steelhead, one salmon by mistake

C
ChezJfrey
Went searching the Wilson for steelhead...after a few holes, found none. But, I did tie into a brute buck salmon turned firetruck red. After a prolonged tug of war, I noticed it was wild, so fished my phone out, switched to camera mode early. Some further wrestling and I finally got a hand on it, but during the wrestling, I apparently switched the camera to 'selfie' mode on the camera. I never use that feature and couldn't figure out how to switch it back. I pushed every conceivable button I could find, and somehow got a 5 second countdown. After the futility, the fish hanging out in a foot of water was getting restless, so I bagged the idea...just unhooked and let him swim.

Then I noticed this on the screen...the result of my 'fish' photo, LOL

IMAG0019[1].jpg

N
Native Fisher
lol I have done that myself. Heading out tomorrow after the kiddos tumbling practice, will be sure to get a selfie.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Good One !!!

T
troutmasta
Ah, the tech savvy fishermen. Well done sir!

S
sapo
Nice, lol! I'm heading out there today, hope I do well...never fished the Wilson this time of year before.

C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
Ah, the tech savvy fishermen. Well done sir!

LOL. I only take selfies during NWKiller's contest, December through February as a necessary part of the contest when I find myself fishing solo. But I recently got a new phone and the technique is completely changed, and since I hadn't yet done such a photo, I was clueless. Got it figured out now, though ;)

C
ChezJfrey
sapo said:
Nice, lol! I'm heading out there today, hope I do well...never fished the Wilson this time of year before.

I went with high hopes. The water looked fantastic. Started down low, near Mills Bridge and eventually worked a few holes further and further upstream. Didn't locate a steelhead, but when I got to an upper hole, in a spot I label, "the money hole," I got a hit on a spoon, but within about 5 seconds, knew I probably wasn't dealing with a steelhead...thing was too big and powerful for the average steelhead in that system. Though I did once hook what was probably a large wild in that same spot a couple years ago that completely schooled/spooled me, but that was during early April when I believe the wilds are more common. That fish I lost was a rocket, ran around a corner, down the rapids and I just couldn't follow fast/far enough to do much of anything; have gunned that spot with heavier leader ever since :)

In any case, I would be optimistic with your chances today...good luck and let us know how it goes.

B
BaldTexan
Nice selfie. Well done. Very artsy!

bass
bass
I can't tell from that picture if you are a native or a hatchery, however, from your posts you sound kind of wild :)

B
billfisher
^^^:lol:

C
ChezJfrey
bass said:
I can't tell from that picture if you are a native or a hatchery, however, from your posts you sound kind of wild :)

What? You mean that time fishing high wind with a weighted fly hook and the cast drifted into me and drove the hook into my bone at the elbow requiring pliers to dislodge and at least get to where it was now just stuck in the soft tissue so I could then push through the skin and clip the barb...or the time sliding off a 3 foot boulder sideways into the water, filling my waders and dislocating my shoulder, all while fighting a fish and I couldn't move my left arm...or that time I slipped into the speeding water channel, grabbed a rock and body surfed it for awhile in the current, while holding my rod with a fish on the line, or that time slipping down an embankment, over a 4 foot ledge, got caught between the legs by a small sapling, where I was left clinging and hanging upside down?

Hmmm, wild or dangerous or maybe just crazy and stupid? They probably all fit ;)

N
Native Fisher
Same story for me, water looked great down here, worked several good holes. Started out with bobber an djigs, then bobber and eggs, then drifting eggs, and got one fish on the clean up spinner. It was just a red coho,was sort of disappointed, I felt sure I was going to have steelhead for dinner, but no joy. At least most of the salmon have now moved up to the spawning grounds so I am not constantly battling those Goliaths on steelhead gear.

C
ChezJfrey
Native Fisher said:
Same story for me, water looked great down here, worked several good holes. Started out with bobber an djigs, then bobber and eggs, then drifting eggs, and got one fish on the clean up spinner. It was just a red coho,was sort of disappointed, I felt sure I was going to have steelhead for dinner, but no joy. At least most of the salmon have now moved up to the spawning grounds so I am not constantly battling those Goliaths on steelhead gear.

Yeah, unfortunately I think it's still a hide-and-seek game for some of the earlier arrivals at this point. I enjoy the hunt, but my eternal optimism gets a bit dampened when I walk away without latching into a steelhead when I'm just so darn sure I'll find a couple :) The chinook fight made it a bit easier to walk away with my dignity intact, but still....LOL

ETA: I've also tried to resort to spoon as 'cleanup' these days, instead of primary attack. Trying harder to get my drift and fly game up to snuff...but same ol' story every time; the spoon ALWAYS does the trick for me. How am I ever gonna get out of that habit if it just 'works' all the dang time? LOL

hobster
hobster
ChezJfrey said:
Yeah, unfortunately I think it's still a hide-and-seek game for some of the earlier arrivals at this point. I enjoy the hunt, but my eternal optimism gets a bit dampened when I walk away without latching into a steelhead when I'm just so darn sure I'll find a couple :) The chinook fight made it a bit easier to walk away with my dignity intact, but still....LOL

ETA: I've also tried to resort to spoon as 'cleanup' these days, instead of primary attack. Trying harder to get my drift and fly game up to snuff...but same ol' story every time; the spoon ALWAYS does the trick for me. How am I ever gonna get out of that habit if it just 'works' all the dang time? LOL

Thats funny cause I can't seem to land one on a spoon to save my life. I've landed many on bobbers and drifting and have only hooked a couple on spoons. I've put in a lot of work the last year or so with the little cleo, read books etc. Still have yet to tag one on a spoon. Guess it's a confidence thing, I can slay the trout with spinners and spoons. I have a feeling I'll get one this winter....gotta be positive, right?

S
sapo
The wilson was bad fishing yesterday. The rains caused it to be waaaaay to high, too much water to fish, impossible to hook anything. Got a couple hits but that was it for my 7 am-11 am efforts.

C
ChezJfrey
hobster said:
Thats funny cause I can't seem to land one on a spoon to save my life. I've landed many on bobbers and drifting and have only hooked a couple on spoons. I've put in a lot of work the last year or so with the little cleo, read books etc. Still have yet to tag one on a spoon. Guess it's a confidence thing, I can slay the trout with spinners and spoons. I have a feeling I'll get one this winter....gotta be positive, right?

Here's my 'secret.' You drift, so fish the spoon like drift gear...oddly, I catch a minority on drift setups, but then again, I don't do it as often either. Cast the spoon slightly upstream, let it drop near the bottom; I like to feel a slight tick right about when it is perpendicular to me. Then, lift slightly and with some slack line (I usually keep a slight droop in the line), let it dead drift. The slight slack means that the spoon action is created by merely drifting in the current; any sort of tension creates too much action and it seems the steelhead really like hardly any action. You will get a fair number of 'hits' mid-drift. But often those hits are just the line stops moving, or just a slight jar in the line, or a slight bit of tensioning of the slack you have...set the hook.

In case of nothing, I let out line (with a baitcaster, freespool a bit, or in my case of a spinning reel, I have the auto-reverse switched and I back-reel). At some point, you will start dredging the bottom, so I stop backing it down, flip my auto-reverse, allow a bit of line tension to build, then start lowering my rod tip downriver to again slow the action as much as possible, even though the current and tension has built enough that by now, there is more wobble/action. Just as it starts to swing is when a majority of the hits will come and these are usually more prominent; a tug-tug or in some cases a full-on freight train/rod doubling kind. I think the very slow waft of the initial drift probably got their attention, but the lateral movement, slight rise and greater wobble that starts at the begin of the swing perks the fish and gets them to commit.

Then, if still nothing, allow the swing all the way to shore, with the rod held out over the water but low to the surface, and let it hang to a count of two or three...that will also get hit a fair number of times.

That's how I mostly do it. In some cases, I actually have to cast way up river, and reel/thread it through the obstacles, but that takes more practice to get the feel/mojo to not hang up. I've tried to demonstrate that to a couple people, but it's difficult to articulate how I can do it without jamming into the riverbed while their initial attempts all land in the rocks on the bottom, resulting in broken OFF lures...go figure. But in any case, I get a fair number that way where the spoon stops moving as I'm reeling it down, just about current speed and the spoon stops moving and I feel the rod load up.

That said, the slight upstream/drift cast accounts for most fish and is the best way I can describe what I do...and I do alright with spoons :)

Oh, and forgot to add, sometimes the fish hits a fraction of a second after hitting the water, so be ready! And one more thing, if the spot I'm casting to is fairly deep, with some current, I tend to cast UP so that when it hits the water, it has some speed and will drop right in...that's when you have to be ready for the insta-hit fish because as soon as it hits the water and is dropping down, you have to be reeling in much of that slack so that you don't crash into the rock-bottom, aware of any fish hitting...but not too much that you don't allow the spoon to get down...hmmm, that sounds complicated, but hopefully you get the idea that you still want it down, but not too much that you snag...slack is good to get it down, then just tend to slack/no-slack as warranted by whether you're hitting bottom during the drift portion.

Sheesh, rereading that is a jumble of contradiction...hehehehe. Hopefully you all get the gist.

Last edited:
N
Native Fisher
ChezJfrey said:
Here's my 'secret.' You drift, so fish the spoon like drift gear...oddly, I catch a minority on drift setups, but then again, I don't do it as often either. Cast the spoon slightly upstream, let it drop near the bottom; I like to feel a slight tick right about when it is perpendicular to me. Then, lift slightly and with some slack line (I usually keep a slight droop in the line), let it dead drift. The slight slack means that the spoon action is created by merely drifting in the current; any sort of tension creates too much action and it seems the steelhead really like hardly any action. You will get a fair number of 'hits' mid-drift. But often those hits are just the line stops moving, or just a slight jar in the line, or a slight bit of tensioning of the slack you have...set the hook.

In case of nothing, I let out line (with a baitcaster, freespool a bit, or in my case of a spinning reel, I have the auto-reverse switched and I back-reel). At some point, you will start dredging the bottom, so I stop backing it down, flip my auto-reverse, allow a bit of line tension to build, then start lowering my rod tip downriver to again slow the action as much as possible, even though the current and tension has built enough that by now, there is more wobble/action. Just as it starts to swing is when a majority of the hits will come and these are usually more prominent; a tug-tug or in some cases a full-on freight train/rod doubling kind. I think the very slow waft of the initial drift probably got their attention, but the lateral movement, slight rise and greater wobble that starts at the begin of the swing perks the fish and gets them to commit.

Then, if still nothing, allow the swing all the way to shore, with the rod held out over the water but low to the surface, and let it hang to a count of two or three...that will also get hit a fair number of times.

That's how I mostly do it. In some cases, I actually have to cast way up river, and reel/thread it through the obstacles, but that takes more practice to get the feel/mojo to not hang up. I've tried to demonstrate that to a couple people, but it's difficult to articulate how I can do it without jamming into the riverbed while their initial attempts all land in the rocks on the bottom, resulting in broken OFF lures...go figure. But in any case, I get a fair number that way where the spoon stops moving as I'm reeling it down, just about current speed and the spoon stops moving and I feel the rod load up.

That said, the slight upstream/drift cast accounts for most fish and is the best way I can describe what I do...and I do alright with spoons :)

Oh, and forgot to add, sometimes the fish hits a fraction of a second after hitting the water, so be ready! And one more thing, if the spot I'm casting to is fairly deep, with some current, I tend to cast UP so that when it hits the water, it has some speed and will drop right in...that's when you have to be ready for the insta-hit fish because as soon as it hits the water and is dropping down, you have to be reeling in much of that slack so that you don't crash into the rock-bottom, aware of any fish hitting...but not too much that you don't allow the spoon to get down...hmmm, that sounds complicated, but hopefully you get the idea that you still want it down, but not too much that you snag...slack is good to get it down, then just tend to slack/no-slack as warranted by whether you're hitting bottom during the drift portion.

Sheesh, rereading that is a jumble of contradiction...hehehehe. Hopefully you all get the gist.

INteresting, I had a friend that fished spinners in almost an identical way, I always thought he was nuts, but he caught fish and so do you, may have to give it a shot. My first steelhead was on a red and white dare devil spoon. I was using a baitcaster, which I have little proficiency in, casted what I thought was to perpendicular to the boat and just started reeling in, and it got slammed. I guess I should give them more play, but the dang nightmare jig produces so well I have a hard time not trying it first....

C
ChezJfrey
Native Fisher said:
...had a friend that fished spinners in almost an identical way...

Coincidentally, I fish spinners almost exactly the same, but I find them just slightly trickier to keep out of the snags. Probably because I don't use them as much; I can fish a spoon pretty much in my sleep these days, but I have to babysit a spinner a little more by touching up the tension/slack more attentively. I can pretty much stand there doing nothing (subconsciously, I probably don't really 'do nothing' but it feels like it :) ) with a spoon and go weeks without hanging one up.

hobster
hobster
ChezJfrey said:

Wow, thanks Chez, that is awesome advice! I definitely learned a few tips I will apply next time, much appreciated. If I get one I'll let you know(I'll brag on here a little).