Not done with the summer runs yet!

M
Mad dog
Can't give it up!!! My brain is telling me to salmon fish but I am just having too much fun steelhead fishing this summer! I passed half a dozen or so rigs pulling boats heading west this morning as I was going through the Burg....threw a little doubt my way as to what I should be fishing for! :think: I got to my spot and rigged some leaders and a fly on the float rod and started fishing a few minutes after legal. Never touched a fish and only saw 1 roll in the first 45 minutes....doubt was creeping in!

Finally, I hooked a bright fish that came to the surface thrashing around and came unhooked after about 10 seconds....DAMN!!! I rebaited and moved back out to my rock, by now I noticed that it was getting light enough to see the rocks on the bottom of the river. About 20 ft. out from me I could see a couple of salmon laying over some gravel. I watched 1 of them turn sideways and undulate forward digging a redd....Hmmm....interesting! I haven't seen a salmon in this hole in at least a month. They are laying right in front of a rock that the steelhead like to lay behind so I flip my bait out there and watch it drift past the salmon, it gets about 5-10 ft. downstream of the salmon when I feel, thunk, thunk, so I set quick and I'm on! Instantly I know it's not a steelhead, it turns out to be a small dark hatchery buck springer not much bigger than a jack, probably about 25"-26" or so, fought like hell on the Rogue 4-8 lb. steelhead rod though! Cool! At least I caught a fish this morning!

I rebait and head to the bottom of the tailout and run my gear along the ledge in the choppy water. It's a fairly long cast to cover it and on the 3rd cast I get hammered and a nice steelhead clears the water instantly! He is a real bugger to handle on the long cast but I finally get him under control and land him downriver from the hole, he is a nice 6-7 lb. wild fish so he goes back. My watch says 7:15 when I rebait and head to the top of the tailout. I get to my rock and the 3 salmon I saw earlier are laying over the same spot of gravel, they look like a big hen of 34"-36" or so and a couple of smaller darker bucks. They are really active and I am amazed at the amount of energy they spend moving around chasing each other, love is in the air....or water! I make a couple of casts into what the boys and I call the trough and hook my 4th fish of the morning, a real jumper! It gives me a good fight and turns out to be a 27" hatchery hen so I club it!

I rebait and go back to my rock and within a couple of casts I hook #5 of the morning, another nice steelhead! Turns out to be my best fish of the day, a wild fish of about 7-8 lbs., I slip the camera around my neck as I fight it downstream and get a quick pic. as I am reviving it! My watch says 7:47. The next half hour is uneventful, I eventually hook another salmon about 8:30 which turns out to be another hatchery fish, a jack about 18"-20", it fights decent considering it was doing it's best to try and mate the bigger salmon judging by the milt trail as I unhooked it!

At 9:00 I head to a different hole and see 2 steelhead jump in the first 10 minutes I am there, one is directly below me hanging on the lip on the tailout just above a rapid. This fish won't look at anything I run by it so I concentrated on the area where the other fish rolled. It takes me a while but eventually I feel him tugging on my roe on the far side of the river! He's a smaller hatchery buck and gives me a decent but short fight. It's 10:15 and I've got business back in the Burg so I keep him and quit for the morning. Nice little morning overall, 4 for 5 on steelhead and a couple of small springers....fun!

1st keeper of the morning.
001-15.jpg
Nice nate.
005-5.jpg
2nd keeper.
007-3.jpg
Both fish at the house.
008-5.jpg

I
idahojeff
Nice report and great looking fish.

J
JeannaJigs
Sounds like a pretty freakin awesome morning!

A
Airs98
:clap: Very cool!!!! :clap:

S
skunk
Yeah, great report, and sweet fish.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Thanks for the story and the photos MD!

Last edited:
M
markasd
Nice fish - great report! Been down in Sutherland now over a week, and STILL haven't made it up there... killin me!

M
Mad dog
markasd said:
Nice fish - great report! Been down in Sutherland now over a week, and STILL haven't made it up there... killin me!

Go fishin' :clap:

Gonna be cooler this week....full moon and all....primetime for fish movement! I think there will be lot's of fish moving around this week! :clap:

O
OnTheFly
By the title I thought you've been eating too much Taco Bell or something.:shock::lol:

Hey great report and success story.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
M
metalfisher76
Noyce!

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

R
rippin fish lips
Nice fish mad dog!! about the salmon being in there spawning habbits now, I love watching them do there thing! You can really learn a lot by just watching them and studdyin there habbits. It increased my catch ratio this year, or hook up ratio i should say, as i am workin on my 9 th fish of the year. One of which was a spawned out soreheard springer i got the other day. Been gettin skunked on my 8th steely fow a while now. Keep up the good work man, love your posts!

B
bernduffy
Great morning. Very inspirational: don't follow the crowd, follow your instinct.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Very up-lifting bernduffy.

M
Mad dog
bernduffy said:
Great morning. Very inspirational: don't follow the crowd, follow your instinct.

You're absolutely right!!! :clap: I know the salmon fishing is heating up but I love steelhead fishing this time of the year, the chance to sight fish steelhead is something I look forward to all season! :D

It's twice as nice now that Tourist season is over!!! I'm glad all those mouth breather's are off doing something else! :lol:

R
rippin fish lips
Mad dog said:
It's twice as nice now that Tourist season is over!!! I'm glad all those mouth breather's are off doing something else! :lol:

u got that right! headin iout right now

A
alseaalumaweld
nice!

T
Thuggin4Life
As always nice fish and great report!

N
nwkiller
d you ever not catch steelhead?!?!?!;)

N
nwkiller