Wilson River thieves

D
DirectDrive
It was reported OTOS that some vehicles were broken into near mile markers 12, 13 and 14 on November 30.

O
OnTheDrop
Man, this happens way too much out there in the winter. I'm assuming they watch the people hiking around knowing that they are several minutes away from their cars and 'BAM'.

Had this happen to me at McCiver on the Clack several years ago and I was the only car around. It was either the park rangers themselves ( were acting sketchy ) or somebody else was watching my move...My bet is the rangers.

This is why I try not to leave anything valuable in my car these days.

Hope some justice is served as it is pretty rare in these situations...

T
troutmasta
too bad it's against the law boobie trap your own property

M
muskieguide
troutmasta said:
too bad it's against the law boobie trap your own property

If you drive an older rig, a car battery, fence charger, and a piece of wire tied to your hub works. It's funny to watch.

W
wozniasm
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Man, this happens way too much out there in the winter. I'm assuming they watch the people hiking around knowing that they are several minutes away from their cars and 'BAM'.

Had this happen to me at McCiver on the Clack several years ago and I was the only car around. It was either the park rangers themselves ( were acting sketchy ) or somebody else was watching my move...My bet is the rangers.

This is why I try not to leave anything valuable in my car these days.

Hope some justice is served as it is pretty rare in these situations...

McIver for me too when I first moved to Oregon.
First car in the lot and lost about $1000 of stuff that was never recovered.
Live and learn...

K
Knot Fishing Sober
Damn I must have been lucky when I fished the wilson in November. I left waders, extra rod/reel and a cooler full of beer and food in the ride. Moving to this area recently from a much higher crime ratio, I'm so surprised this would happen in such a beautiful place! I know its pretty balsy to break into someone's car in a place where people are likely to be armed. Guess scumbags reside wherever you live. Sorry about your losses at mcgiver guys. I camped there in Sept and there were some sketchy people in those campgrounds.

H
halibuthitman
On the coast its an epidemic problem.. Watch out for a black 90's era jeep cherokee, driven by a guy who looks like eddy vanhalen.. If you see this guy, don't try to apprehend him yourself .... Call me, and then you will probably want to just leave.. Some things nobody should see-

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Had my car broken into a couple years back on the Wilson, I think it was around MM14 (in front of the yellow locked gates) - they left two expensive fly rods/reels in the car, but stole a backpack with clothing, ipod, and bus change that belongs to youngfishtyler. They also left the unopened box of .380 alone that was sitting next to the two cameras the bastards stole. Got a call a few months after, from the TCSO detective working the case that they'd caught a guy they thought was the same one who did my car - they pinned dozens of car burgs on him but didn't find any of our property among his stolen booty. I bet he's off probation, or he was part of a group of thieves. Either way, I wish you could just shoot the bastards and tie them to a pole as a warning to others...

B
bagold53
GungasUncle said:
Had my car broken into a couple years back on the Wilson, I think it was around MM14 (in front of the yellow locked gates) - they left two expensive fly rods/reels in the car, but stole a backpack with clothing, ipod, and bus change that belongs to youngfishtyler. They also left the unopened box of .380 alone that was sitting next to the two cameras the bastards stole. Got a call a few months after, from the TCSO detective working the case that they'd caught a guy they thought was the same one who did my car - they pinned dozens of car burgs on him but didn't find any of our property among his stolen booty. I bet he's off probation, or he was part of a group of thieves. Either way, I wish you could just shoot the bastards and tie them to a pole as a warning to others...

OR just tie them to the closest pole. We had someone have that done to them in my home town and he quickly cleaned up his ways.

E
Everglades
We got hit yesterday at a pull-off on the Wilson River - the thief broke a window got a duffel full of clothes, a spinning reel, sunglasses etc. ($600!) While also leaving some visible fishing gear and a jacket that were loose on the floor. It is a huge bummer and you feel angry enough to well....... I moved here from Miami FL and Brooklyn NY - two pretty scuzzy places - so wow did I feel naive to get hit out at a cool nature spot like this. This was my 8th or 9th time out this year - but i am generally going much closer to Portland. There are some very sad and desperate people out there. My advice is leave nothing visible in the car. I filed a report with a Deputy at Tillamook Co. Sheriff - so hopefully my green wool hippie jacket pops up in a meth lab bust. hahahaha

D
DirectDrive
Everglades said:
We got hit yesterday at a pull-off on the Wilson River - the thief broke a window got a duffel full of clothes, a spinning reel, sunglasses etc. ($600!) While also leaving some visible fishing gear and a jacket that were loose on the floor. It is a huge bummer and you feel angry enough to well....... I moved here from Miami FL and Brooklyn NY - two pretty scuzzy places - so wow did I feel naive to get hit out at a cool nature spot like this. This was my 8th or 9th time out this year - but i am generally going much closer to Portland. There are some very sad and desperate people out there. My advice is leave nothing visible in the car. I filed a report with a Deputy at Tillamook Co. Sheriff - so hopefully my green wool hippie jacket pops up in a meth lab bust. hahahaha
Sorry to hear that.
It wasn't always that way.

Any idea what mile marker you were at and the approximate time of day ?

E
Everglades
Eastcoaster gets first Steelhead

Eastcoaster gets first Steelhead

I have to say having the vehicle robbed got me down. But not enough to subdue the fishing urge for very long. I did not get a day off this week so i wasn't out - but that was really the only reason. Really trying hard to organize my life to fish almost a day a week. If there is one ingredient in successful fishing it is going fishing. I try not to fetishize the gear too much or get to superstitious about lure color etc. BUT going fishing often is very important. Especially in learning an entirely new fishery. I have done a lot of saltwater fishing on the east coast of the US --- but the Steelhead thing is all new to me. I am just getting the water temp. and water level stuff. Just got my first 9 wt. fly rod as well (single handed).

E
eugene1
Everglades, welcome to Tillamook county. That sucks! the coast is not a good place to leave anything of value in your car.

Best,

R
Riverafteriver
Wow. I was going to check this river out for the first time on a trip next week with my pop up camper but you can't tske everything of value tho the water with you. Forget it now. Thanks for the heads up.

D
DrTheopolis
Over the last 25 years or so, I've fished the Wilson hundreds of times, and I've never had a problem.

I've generally been driving a POS vehicle, but I don't believe any of my old-timer friends have ever had a problem either. I know it happens, but to paint it as an epidemic might be overstating the problem.

I'm sure I just jinxed myself, by the way.

C
catchallthefish
me and my dad got our phones stolen out of our jeep 25 yards away in sight down here at Dexter boat ramp like really? i live here!

E
Everglades
tough to say

tough to say

I suppose it if it was a serious epidemic the state police would set up a sting and they'd have somebody nabbed in short order. My guess would be the thieves do it randomly and intermitently - based on what the Tillamook Police told me. But that would imply that a desperate meth head has some sort of method or plan.... that is not possible is it ?
I have fished all over this country on both coasts -- sometimes with a TON of stuff in the truck and have only had it happen one other time in downtown Miami - of course.
(I also have a history of driving vehicles that don't even look valuable themselves...) I think the lesson I learned was never leave a bag of any sort on the seat. I think they probably thought they were going to get a wallet with credit cards. Whatever the case it won't stop me from fishing as hard as i can.

E
Everglades
All is Well...sort of

All is Well...sort of

I fished the Wilson this past week. no break-ins this time! all is well except the water level. felt like i should have been snorkeling.
PS - anyone with any tips on sea-run cutts would be welcome. flies? general areas? can they be had in the bays - tillamook etc. ?

H
hcole
SRC fishing is closed on the wilson right now.

E
Everglades
looking for very general info on sea run cutts

looking for very general info on sea run cutts

hcole said:
SRC fishing is closed on the wilson right now.

Ahh. Ok but i was just looking for very general info on sea runs. Basically what flies people use.
I like everybody else is obsessed with steelhead right now. but i am new to the area and just searching out other fisheries along the coast.
Very very general info would be great.