Wild winters

T
Thuggin4Life
Me and Bfishin decide to show xltom what plunking is all about in hopes of getting him into a trophy fish. Bfishing got 2 small to medium nates after about 2 hours with no bites. Fish were less than an hour apart. Then after a missed bite and a recast before he could get his rod in the holder BAM! At least a 15lber. Made a few very long runs after coming in for us to see came back in and took of one more time. Then it cut through his 17lb leader and went of to finish its journey. It was half again bigger than the one in the photo. Poor Tom couldn't get him one or even a coho earlier this year. As for me I had one take down before we left and as i was grabbing my rod it jumped and popped off. Guess it was a BFishin day. Weather man was wrong and even with the river on the rise it was a better color than the last time I seen it. Here are a few pics from today... Oh and Jeanna this is the water fall I was talking about...

M
Mike123
Awesome! Man I'd love to go plunking! It's boring to some but I'd love to catch some fish that way.

What bait were you using...? Or, what was your set-up?

T
Thuggin4Life
I always use spinglo's sometimes roe sometimes not but always a drop or 2 of shrim oil.

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:
I always use spinglo's sometimes roe sometimes not but always a drop or 2 of shrim oil.

Did you guys hook those fish on roe or just glows?

T
Thuggin4Life
Its been a bit of both, it always is.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Looks like fun you can sit back, stay warm, drink some beers and wait for fish!

R
rainbowfisherman
Is that the umpqua or alsea? Sorry i dont fish those areas much

C
Chrome_Chaser
Its the Umpqua. Looks like your having fun.:lol:

B
Bfishin
steelhead_stalkers said:
Looks like fun you can sit back, stay warm, drink some beers and wait for fish!

It is man! Everybody deserves a little success now and then while doing some Lazy Fishing. Luckily I didn't have to do a whole lot of waiting today:D That's usually what I do most.

S
steelhead_stalkers
We need to try plunking on the smaller coastal rivers but every time we should it seems like a good idea to hike all day looking for fish. Then on the way home, its like, we should have plunked all day! :)

B
bigsteel
great pics man,,,,,im gonna have to give the umpqua a try looks like great fly fishing water...

F
Fishtopher
Its good to see plunkers get into fish! Im a plunker from birth, and catch a lot of flak from drifters and such:lol:...

Nice fish!

J
JeannaJigs
Know exactly where that is, anchored up above that rock outcropping.

T
Thuggin4Life
Thought you would regognize it. Plunking is my favorite. Maybe because I have caught more fish that way. Don't know how to do it on any other river but were I go there are big fish, I mean BIG. To bad they changed the regs and you can't keep a nate when there are so many nates in the river. Drinking beer makes slower reaction times which can lead to missed hook sets(trust me it has happened more than once to me since campfires=beer) but having a fire and a chair is nice. My Dad likes to tease me about plunking and always tries to get me to drift the slaw since thats how they did it back in the 80's and he taught me how to drift and showed me all his old spots. The north umpqua has a strecth that is fly fishing only and they do pretty good up there check it out.

T
Throbbit _Shane
How far from from Roseburg were u fishing. My buddy lives in Sutherlin and i plan on fishing that great river sometime when im up there.

J
JeannaJigs
It's west of Elkton.

S
solution7
Exactly

Exactly

steelhead_stalkers said:
We need to try plunking on the smaller coastal rivers but every time we should it seems like a good idea to hike all day looking for fish. Then on the way home, its like, we should have plunked all day! :)

Exactly what happens to me end up hiking around a lot. I wonder if any of my fav holes on the nestucca would be good plunking holes. I have never caught a salmon or steel plunked, usually bobber and jig, spinners, or roe under a bobber or drifted..

Anything I should look for in plunking water?

B
Bfishin
JeannaJigs said:
It's west of Elkton.

Yes, west of Elkton. I don't know how far exactly from Roseburg, but just north of it. On the main stem of the Umpqua.

T
Troutier Bassier
Plunking is the most relaxing form of fishing. Especially for young kids. *cough* me.

Nice job on the chromers guys. :clap:

T
Thuggin4Life
wont give away my plunking hole but its west of elkyon on the mainstem somewhere above tidewater. if you want to plunk i here they do well at bunch bar.man qwest needs to fix my inernet i hate phones. plunkin water is hard to explain. depends on level and flow and colorr but rule of thumb it hit the seems between slack and current .

Last edited: