Who wants to go on an adventure?

S
Spydeyrch
Ok, so I am looking for someone to go fishing with me this coming saturday. It is going to be kind of an adventure because I am going to go exploring a new system. I haven't ever fished it were I am planning on going. I have fished it once, back in april, above a certain point, but nothing below, and that is where I am planning on going, below that point. When I went in April, there was still snow on the ground.

I am planning on hiking anywhere from 2 - 6 miles to get to a spot to start fishing upstream. I don't know what the hike is going to be like but it is on a logging road so should be pretty easy going.

I don't know what the water conditions are going to be like either. Should be pretty normal to a little low, I would imagine.

I am going to be fly fishing and wading my way back upstream as I fish.

I am planning it to be a full day trip (8+ hours). From my place (beaverton) it is about a 2 hour drive west toward the coast. I would like to start hiking early, so I would like to get to the parking location around 7am. That way we could hike for a few hours and then get on the water.

I don't expect to be home until after 8pm.

You will need to bring your own gear, food, and water. And be able to hike a reasonable distance without any difficulty. I will be fly fishing exclusively. I will probably use wither a 1wt, 3wt, or 5wt, depending on what the water looks like when we get there. You are welcome to fish by any legal means you want (I would recommend fly fishing though). I am going to be doing CPR (Catch, Photo, Release), I would suggest the same, but if you are in your legal rights to catch and keep, then that is your decision.

The fish will primarily be trout. I don't know the size but I would imagine a 7 incher is pretty standard in this stream. Anything over 10 inches would be a good catch. Probably all coastal cutthroat trout. There might be some rainbows but I am not sure, haven't caught anything out of this stream, having been only once in april for about 4 or 5 hours.

So, who wants to go with me!!!!??? :D :dance: Shoot me a PM if you want to go and we can coordinate from there. I really think that 3 people, including myself, would be a perfect group size, anything more is going to be a bit overbearing on the stream.

If I don't get any takers, I am heading down with lilsalmon to do some work with Trout Unlimited, should be a blast!!! :D

Take care y'all.

-Spydey

Last edited:
Chromatose
Chromatose
Safety is knowing to take another with you. Kudos to you spyeyrch. Either way you go have a Blast!!!

18406ej
18406ej
Spy,

I would like to go, but the list of your demands seems a little too short to make this the adventure I am seeking. Is there any way you could come up with about three more orders or limits? I don't know...you haven't touched on the brand of backing I should use, and what direction are you planning to take regarding my footwear? Nothing as exciting to me as a "Dom", especially one in a latex action-comic character outfit with mask! So call me so we can get this plan into gear- my number is carved into the wall at the Baldock Rest Stop, third stall down. Check out all those rep points under my name- Pretty soon all that notching is going to form a pretty good void (SEE: Glory Hole).

But seriously folks, I have been allowed daily access to 90 mg of slow-release morphine for my back pain, so I am not sure that I would even remember the trip. I have no doubt that you will find many persons foolhardy (SEE: Damn stupid) enough to join you on this Bataan death march.

Your pal (SEE: Stabber, back)

Eamon

F
fishtales
If I was not already hosting a BBQ then I might consider it. Is it near Hebo?

S
Spydeyrch
fishtales said:
If I was not already hosting a BBQ then I might consider it. Is it near Hebo?

Nope sorry man. It is out off of 26 toward the coast. About 2 hours on 26 from the 185th off/on ramps and then about 2 hours of hiking on a logging road. I haven't ever fished this stream, except for the first time back in april, but that was more of a "got to clear my head and think of stuff" trip rather than a fishing trip. It should be a blast to explore and hopefully get some fish!!

-Spydey

J
john montana
Sounds like fun..I am on the coast now. Spent an hour getting embarrassed by surf perch today. I can't catch those things. Hah.

Have fun!

S
Spydeyrch
john montana said:
Sounds like fun..I am on the coast now. Spent an hour getting embarrassed by surf perch today. I can't catch those things. Hah.

Have fun!

haha that is funny . you can catch these 25lbs carp but not small little surf perch. hahaha.

granted i haven't ever tried for them ..... yet.... :lol:

have fun man.

-Spydey

S
Silvers&Steelies
I would love to go but gotta work Friday and Saturday night. It sounds like my old fishing area when I lived out there. If you want to keep the location on the DL you mind pm'ing me where your going. I can probably give you some good directions on where to go. I don't know what flys to recommend out there as I never fly fished out there.

J
jrbecca
Dude!

T
TimberTodd
How was your excursion Spydey?

S
Spydeyrch
TimberTodd said:
How was your excursion Spydey?

So Friday, my 9 month old had her 9 month check-up. Appeatently the doctor's office didn't have record of her 2 month old shots being administered. So she got 3 shots Friday afternoon. Due to her shots, she was running a low-grade fever and was obviously sore and not feeling well. She is very much a daddy's girl and didn't want to have anything to do with mommy .... or her bed for that matter. Her new bed friday night was daddy's chest ...... the whole night long ..... so I didn't get any sleep that night. Or at least good sleep.

So I didn't go on an adventure, didn't get to go with lilsalmon to do some good with TU, and didn't go fishing. Eventually she rolled off my chest around 5am saturday morning and I got some descent sleep. My wife took the 3 oldest out to play at the park that morning and the youngest and I slept together in my bed until 12:30 saturday afternoon. It was much needed!!

So, those are the results of my attempt at doing something related to fishing but just sleeping ..... granted for a good cause ... my little one's health and my sanity by getting caught up on sleep. :D

Thanks for asking!! I am hoping to get out this weekend .... maybe .... we will have to see.

-Andrew

T
TimberTodd
Sounds like the best catch was being there for your daughter and then the much needed shuteye. The river will be there for the next time.

bass
bass
Sorry you did not get to go fishing Spyderych but the memories I have of snuggling with my kids are still fonder than my best fishing trip. I ended up taking about a 10 year hiatus from fishing so I could spend the time I was not working with my kids doing the things that they wanted to do. Now that they are older (9 & 14) they still like to hang around with me and the want to go fishing :)

S
Spydeyrch
Don't get me wrong (anyone), I do not resent spending that time with my little angel, not one bit. She needed me and I wanted to be there for her. To have a little one reach her arms at me and cry with a face of "I need you daddy. No one else will do. Only you can comfort me. Please help me daddy." Is a wonderful feeling. And I wouldn't exchange it for fishing, any time.

I just spent the last two days comforting my 2 youngest as they got over a stomach bug. If getting thrown-up on 10+ times and pooped on 5+ times doesn't show a father's love for his children, then I am doing something wrong ... hahahahahaha :lol:

We might not make our camping trip for this weekend because if history has shown me anything, the 2 oldest are next with this stomach bug, and providence usually has her way of making it happen right when plans are going to transpire. So we will probably have to cancel this weekend's camping trip. Hahahahahahaha, Murphy's Law man, Murphy's Law. When it rains ... IT POURS!!! hahahahahahaha ;) :lol:

Take care guys.

-Spydey

Last edited: