Who eats bass and why...

F
FishFinger
I'm just kidding... Over the last few years I've come to love eating bass and I'm gonna share an amazing recipe for deep fried Bass.

**Note** this recipe requires boneless filets, unless your serving it to your mother in law then just cook bone in pieces separately.

Start with Pride of the West batter mix to consistency as directed.

Batter the filets...

Rebread the filets in finely crushed Lays sour cream and onion potato chips....

Fry away until batter is golden brown.

Sure.... This thread should be in the recipe section but it how I learned to love eating bass.

Who knows might even make carp taste good.

jamisonace
jamisonace
My friend makes fish tacos with smallies from the umpqua and loves it. I haven't tried it but it sounds good.

O
OnTheFly
FishFinger said:
Who knows might even make carp taste good.
Maybe but everyone knows the best way to cook and eat carp is on a cedar plank. When it's done, throw the carp away and eat the plank.

N
ninja2010
that's how i used to cook the calicos and white sea bass... breaded batter. they're quite a decent white meat.

J
JeannaJigs
Anytime I hear about someone eating bass...all that comes to mind is Napolean Dynamite "I caught you a delicious bass"

S
shotgun
YOU GUYS ARE SICK !!! .... Or you will be from eating bass ... Everyone knows bass causes cancer .... Eat Trout .... Bass do ...

Catch and Release since 1973 ... Doug

Reactions: Finneus Polebender
F
FishFinger
Yikes.. From a tasty recipe to cancer in 7 easy posts... Oh man.

Personally I'd be more concerned about consuming large trout with nasty growths like these. That's a definite catch and release candidate IMHO. I realize beauty is only skin deep, but nastiness I fear may go much deeper...:shock:

Conversely this PB bucket mouth, caught the same day: looks delicious... In spite of any drooling I may have done off camera, it too was released, as a bass that big deserves to live and to be angled for another day or three.

D
DrTheopolis
Looks like the cutthroat we used to C&R on the Tualaltin many years ago. All kinds of worms and growths.

H
Hawk
Well Done Bro......:):cool:

??

F
fishtales
Do black sea bass count, those taste good..

S
Shark 13
I throw back all the fresh water bass I catch. @fishtales I'm with you on the black sea bass thou. Those are some good eating fish especially deep fried.

I make my own beer batter when I deep fry fish. If any one wants to try it here is my recipe and it is very easy.

About 1 cup all purpose flour
onion powder
garlic powder
johnny's seasoning salt
1 12oz beer (whatever you like.) I personally like the Blue Moon Belgian white wheat beer.

Mix all the dry ingredients to taste. Pour in beer and mix until you have a nice thick batter. May not take the entire 12oz beer but that's ok you can drink the rest. I use canola oil and heat it to about 300-350f. Cut fish into bite sizes and fry until golden brown.

F
fishtales
sounds good!

kidholiday
kidholiday
Personally Bass and Crappie are my favorite freshwater fish to eat. Currently though I practice catch and release as I have found Oregon's bass population needs all the help it can get. But growing up in AZ where they are plentiful is another story. I have found beer battered bass to be the best but I am sure putting them on a cedar plank and grilling them would be just as tasty. They have nice white flaky meat. Paired with home made fries and beer bread. Now your talking.

Y
Youngfishermen
Carp are tasty fish it's just you catch them in wrong places if you catch one somewhere in a mountain lake they taste really good. I have a freind who buys my carp that i catch and cooks it reallly good but he won't tell me the recipe.

M
Moe
I wouldn't post that on a forum bro it's illegal to sell fish if not properly licensed. Sell away I don't mind but I wouldn't post about it here

T
Throbbit _Shane
Moe said:
I wouldn't post that on a forum bro it's illegal to sell fish if not properly licensed. Sell away I don't mind but I wouldn't post about it here

I agree.

As far as Bass. I havent ate them much as I prefer to release them, odfw dont care about bass. But this summer on a Umpqua Float we fried up some smallies and they were damn good!

T
troutmasta
OnTheFly said:
Maybe but everyone knows the best way to cook and eat carp is on a cedar plank. When it's done, throw the carp away and eat the plank.

Jim just read this! LOL!

C
colbypearson