Who Can Describe For Me a Float Setup?

G
GoDucks1
Or link to one. You'll have to be pretty specific. I think I'm starting to get the hang of drift fishing but have never tried float fishing. Thanks for any knowledge.

Go Ducks

J
JeannaJigs
Depends on what kind of water you're going to be fishing and what kind of lure/bait set up. I use 10 pound braided line for my main line (it floats, mono doesn't, so it creates less drag on your float) and 8 pound mono for my leaders. i use a 12-18 inch leader below a barrel swivel, and above that i use a slider float. Float size depends on what kind of weight you are running below your float and how fast the water is moving. typically i use a float rated for 1/2 oz because i run jigs below it that range in weight between 1/8-1/2 oz, if i use a jig less than 1/2 oz i make up the weight with split shot below my swivel. I use slider floats because they make casting much easier, slider floats usually come with a float stop that consists of a dacron stop and a bead, you put this above your float, you can adjust the depth by sliding the stopper up and down your line (it will go through the eyelets without any problem). Float fishing is simple. cast upstream a bit to get it where you want it, and then keep your line tight, this means reeling in, and gradually mending it with your hand as it goes downstream. You want your float to be straight up and down, if it's leaning forward your leader is dragging on the bottom, if it's leaning back, you need a bigger float and more weight. Jig's only work if you have perfect presentation, and you only get that when your jig is directly below your float, you know it's below your float when it's vertical. i'm not so great at explaining things, but..that's basically it. you learn as you do it what works and what doesn't. The great thing about float fishing is that you know when you have a fish down, your float goes down hard and fast usually.

M
meluvtrout
I use 12lb braided main and about 18" 10 lb mono leader .
This is my usual setup:
Bobber stopper
Bead
3/8 float
Bead
Bobber stopper
1/4 inline weight
Leader
1/8 jig

The second bobber stopper is optional for the snags. If the line breaks from the braided(which is unlikely, but you never know), you can still keep your float this way.

C
Catch 22
I do pretty much what meluv does. I use the inline sinker and the West Coast float. I use 20-30 lb tuff line XP for mainline to the weight. It's impregnated with wax and floats very well. Other lines will do as well I'm sure.
Since I use a heavy mainline, I skip the bottom bobberstop/bead. I like the float being down at the weight when I cast. I think it casts better. ???
Also, the heavier the braid the better it will float. And since 30 lb tuffline is about the same diameter as 8lb mono, you needn't worry about line capacity.

Last thing. If using a braid on a spinning reel, it's a good idea to start the spool with 10 yards or so of mono to get a "bite" on the spool. Braid can slip on a spool if tied directly. I've only had this happen once and it's not a huge issue, but if you know how to tie a bloodknot, it's a better way to do it.

Jason

G
GoDucks1
Thanks to all for the info. So long as we're on the subject of setups, what is the best way to add some weight to my line (for the sake of increased casting distance) when using a spinner/some other lure I'm going to be casting and retrieving immediately?

Last edited:
M
meluvtrout
For spinners: Instead of adding weight, you can carry variable sizes/weights 3,4,5
For the rest: split shots are easy to add/change, just pinch them with your fingers.
For lakes/ reservoirs: I use egg sinkers, because they are cheap...
For rivers: Inline weights as they are snag free(most of the time).

Troutski
Troutski
Sweet,very sweet...

Sweet,very sweet...

This is what this site is becoming famous for, the willingness of our members to share knowledge and of course the place to catch that fish... Thanks to all of you we are making a difference :clap: :clap: :clap:
I would add to this post - but there is no need.

Chuck

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Right On!!!

Right On!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Barb

S
SDK
Troutski said:
This is what this site is becoming famous for, the willingness of our members to share knowledge and of course the place to catch that fish... Thanks to all of you we are making a difference :clap: :clap: :clap:
I would add to this post - but there is no need.

Chuck

I would agree. The first site I found after moving to Oregon was Ifish. I came away thinking people were nuts here. Thankfully I then found OFF, and received a lot of help getting setup to bobber fish for spring Chinook last year.

This year it's drifting for Steel, and soon to be fly fishing. This is a great place!

Scott

B
BobberDown
i think every one has well coverd it i like to run 14 pound fire line for my main it is a breaded line thank i put a bobber stop than a bead than one more 4 mm bead than a west coast float 3/8 or 1/2 ifthe whater is a litttle hight or i am running a bigger river like the clack i use the 1/2 than i put a nother 4 mm bead below the float to cushoin th knot when the bobber hits it than i ty on one of the in line float weights i make than about 2 to 3 feet of 10 puond mono i love the p-line cx premum in the moss green it is a very good mono coated with floreocarebon i love it . tan i tie on an 1/8OZ jig or an 1/8OZ jig head white a pink worm i do like th 30 pound power pro to that is on my jig rod i use for big whater where i need long cast and fish some deep holes
it is also nice to have a 9'6' or longer rod a lot of people love to use 10' or 10'6 i use 9'6 and 10' rods mostly i dow have a 10'6 on it way to me from wright mcgill from the rep at the sportmans show it looked like a very nice rod but any of those lenths will do you just need to look at how fare you will be casting on the rivers you fish and how much wight you will need to fish the water you like for example on the uper clack in oce of my favrite spots i have to cast clear a crose the river it is about 60 yards and the water is about 7' to 14' so i use a 1/2 oz float a 1/2 oz inline wight and an 1/8 jig i use a 10 ' rod and 30 pound power pro but i can't wate to try the10'6" rod out on that drift I should put up some pics of how to rig a float and jig on my web site sean i have al the stuff for flaot fishing on there another good rig is the thrill turbo master fixed float in 1/8 with just an 1/8 jig under it you just put the float on your main line than tie on a 3 foot peace of mono for a leader than the jig head it will cast about 30 yards niceley i use a 9'6" rod with that set up because I use it mosty on small streams like eagle creek or the sandy that is about the bigest river i fish that set up on. and i just tie a uni knote to joyn my leader to my main line and i use 14 poundfire line with that set up and a 10 mono leader i have never broke the braid so i have nver lost the float but thats why i dont run straight mono with that set up
thanks for reading and i hope this helps
Dan

G
GoDucks1
Thanks to all. Back to the weights question, is it the consensus that if you want to cast a spinner/kastmaster/spoon, or whatever, further then you should get a bigger one that weighs more? Again, thanks to all.

Go Ducks

J
JeannaJigs
GoDucks1 said:
Thanks to all. Back to the weights question, is it the consensus that if you want to cast a spinner/kastmaster/spoon, or whatever, further then you should get a bigger one that weighs more? Again, thanks to all.

Go Ducks
Not necessarily, if the river's running low and clear, you don't want a humongorious lure. Use a longer rod, and if necessary, add some split shot. At least that's what I do? Might not be right haha. Works for me though.

M
Mike123
It all depends all speed, depth, and type of water your fishing and what your fishing with.... bait.. jigs.. etc...

Shape of float is another thing to keep in mind for different water and bait.

Im just getting into float fishing so I have yet to do much experimenting.. but I will soon.

B
BobberDown
JeannaJigs said:
Not necessarily, if the river's running low and clear, you don't want a humongorious lure. Use a longer rod, and if necessary, add some split shot. At least that's what I do? Might not be right haha. Works for me though.

i think you are rite in high water go a little bigger but if it is low and clear or you just want to cast farther go to a longer rod that has a lite tipe so it can load the rod with the proper weight like a 9'6" 6-12 that is rated 1/4 to 3/4
and run sey 10 pound mono and it should cast a 1/2 oz castmaster a mile
or at least that has bean my expence longer rod liter line i drop for 12 to 10 or evan 8 pound some lines will cast better than others to the line i realy like is p-line cx preeum inthe moss green it looks like maxima ultra green but it has a much smaller line diamiter by about 4 pounds and is a lot limper grate stuff very good knote strenth to
I hope that is some usfull info
Thanks for readig
Dan

J
JeannaJigs
BobberDown said:
i think you are rite in high water go a little bigger but if it is low and clear or you just want to cast farther go to a longer rod that has a lite tipe so it can load the rod with the proper weight like a 9'6" 6-12 that is rated 1/4 to 3/4
and run sey 10 pound mono and it should cast a 1/2 oz castmaster a mile
or at least that has bean my expence longer rod liter line i drop for 12 to 10 or evan 8 pound some lines will cast better than others to the line i realy like is p-line cx preeum inthe moss green it looks like maxima ultra green but it has a much smaller line diamiter by about 4 pounds and is a lot limper grate stuff very good knote strenth to
I hope that is some usfull info
Thanks for readig
Dan
I myself use braided line these days. Ever since I switched over to the 10# power pro braided line, I've had no issues with casting distance and spinners (never goin' back to monofilament). It's way thinner and lighter than the mono, and doesn't have the memory like monofilament. I actually had the constant problem of overcasting for a while after the switch because I wasn't used to such ease. The only time I add weight to any lure is in fast moving water > 4 ft deep with a shallow running lure, such as a smaller blue fox for example, in which case I just use small split shot.