Which fliies for steel

K
Kais
SO i am a fly fishing noob (although im getting better), and a complete steelhead noob. I don't need anything completely specific, but what should i try for steelhead.
So far i have been swinging a wet fly, but i just wanted to know what is most effective. Would it be better to use a dry fly or even some type of nymph?

Thanks ahead of time

B
bigsteel
i would go with some bigger nymphs in sizes 6 or 8 even 10..have fun with the dry fly,it is the method every one os us fly anglers are trying to achieve.tpugh,tough,tough,but can be done

P
ProfessorChromology
If you are going to be winter fishing...anytime before trout season opens, then weighted black woolybuggers and egg flies are the ticket. Fish them upstream and use woolybuggers with a good set of lead eyes in them. Trail the egg fly about 20 inches off the woolybugger tying your tippet directly to the bend of the wooly's hook. Use ten pound flourocarbon for your entire tippet section (the section below the tapered section you likely bought at your local flyshop). The tippet section should be about 3-4 feet and the whole leader about 10-12 feet in most winter fishing conditions. This is just nymphing for huge trout, so look at it that way. You can also use big weighted nymphs instead of the wooly to mix it up. You can also mix it up by using dark olive or even pink for the woolybugger color. Winter fish love salmon eggs and the big pink wooly might look like a glob of roe. Or......

If you fish on the Umpqua, you can swing flies in the tailouts all winter long and these fish will come up. There are places where weight on a fly is NOT LEGAL, so read the regs carefully before tying on a weighted fly.

good luck. and keep trying. Sometimes it takes a while before you learn where the fish are. But steelhead are aggressive feeders. The cold water of winter makes them less aggressive, but they still have to eat!

brandon4455
brandon4455
bead head prince, hares ear, various stonefly patterns under a strike indicator, with another nymph or egg pattern on the dropper

Last edited:
S
sherretb
Kais-

here is my set up- probably the easiest/simplist/cheapest/most effective

from your flyline create a leader by cutting approximately three feet sections of mono fillament; ~25 lb test, ~15 lb test, and 8 lb test.
Tie a loop (a double overhand knot is fine) in one end of the 25 lb. (that will connect to the loop in your fly line)
next tye the other end of the 25 to the 15 and then the 15 to the eight using blood knots (look up online if you dont know how to tie them).

Now tie a small yarn type egg pattern (I use a peachy collor- these can be purchased from just about anywhere or tied easily if you have the materials) to the end of your 8# line.

Next pinch three or four of the smallest split shot they sell onto the 8 lb. line about 12 inches above your egg pattern.

Finally, up around the mid point of the 25# line, attach an indicator (yarn ball or thingamabobber)- you have to buy these from the fly shop or if you knew what you were doing you can make them from a pingpong ball and duct tape.

I caght my first steelhead on this rig and it is still my go to set up many fish later.

Good luck.

M
metalfisher76
sherretb said:
Kais-

here is my set up- probably the easiest/simplist/cheapest/most effective

from your flyline create a leader by cutting approximately three feet sections of mono fillament; ~25 lb test, ~15 lb test, and 8 lb test.
Tie a loop (a double overhand knot is fine) in one end of the 25 lb. (that will connect to the loop in your fly line)
next tye the other end of the 25 to the 15 and then the 15 to the eight using blood knots (look up online if you dont know how to tie them).

Now tie a small yarn type egg pattern (I use a peachy collor- these can be purchased from just about anywhere or tied easily if you have the materials) to the end of your 8# line.

Next pinch three or four of the smallest split shot they sell onto the 8 lb. line about 12 inches above your egg pattern.

Finally, up around the mid point of the 25# line, attach an indicator (yarn ball or thingamabobber)- you have to buy these from the fly shop or if you knew what you were doing you can make them from a pingpong ball and duct tape.

I caght my first steelhead on this rig and it is still my go to set up many fish later.

Good luck.

Purty good riggin. I leave a tag from my bottom (20-12-"tag"10or8 mono, I never, ever use flouro for steel.) SURGEONS! (you can google it) knot and pinch pencil lead to it. If ya get hung up with JUST the pencil lead, hopefully it pulls OFF. All ya have to do then is pinch more on. Yeah sometimes everything goes. But ya have a MUCH better chance of not tying 2-3 knots this way. Giving you more time in the water =ing more fish.