Where's the spey folk?

Southpaw
Southpaw
Who else loves the two hand rod game? It's something I love to do and a way to fish I enjoy. It would be nice to see who else on here has the addition and passion for this style or if you're just interested feel free to chime in as well. Skagit, scandi, mid belly spey, micro spey, or single hand spey. These are all weapons in my arsenal and I'd like to see who else does. I'm in Eugene by the way.

• photo32721.jpg
  • photo32722.jpg
Casting Call
Casting Call
Here iam, went over to center pin after spey casting. Think iam gonna stay awhile float fishing. Tony

M
markasd
I enjoy it. Not good at it, but still try to do it. Managed a few decent fish, but since giving up the gear it sure seems my catch rate went down considerably. I dont run beads, I dont nymph either... kinda stubborn in that I like that swung fly take too much to go back... managed a few really nice sea runs swinging last week on the coast.

Good stuff! Gonna have to get down south and hit some of your waters one day.. all looks great.

Southpaw
Southpaw
markasd;n614181 said:
I enjoy it. Not good at it, but still try to do it. Managed a few decent fish, but since giving up the gear it sure seems my catch rate went down considerably. I dont run beads, I dont nymph either... kinda stubborn in that I like that swung fly take too much to go back... managed a few really nice sea runs swinging last week on the coast.

Good stuff! Gonna have to get down south and hit some of your waters one day.. all looks great.

There is no comparison on the tug from a swung fly for sure, that's how I fish it too. That's something I haven't actually done yet but have wanted to do, sea run cutties. Outside of tide water are the rivers still open to fish them? I've been a little confused when I read the regs if I can or not. What area is your home waters? I usually fish the mckenzie and Willamette, but I do take several trips to other rivers each year. This photos were on the north Umpqua earlier this year

Irishrover
Irishrover
I enjoy the spey rod. I'm into the Skagit style. It's been a while since I've ventured into the river to swing a fly do to a total knee replacement followed by a total shoulder replacement. I'll be back at it soon. I live close to the Sandy River and it has been a great place to use a spey rod. Tying up spey flies is also great fun.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Irish! Sorry to hear about the replacements. Soon you will be a new man. Heal up soon my friend. Tony

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks Tony. It's like I'm growing old and new at the same time.

M
markasd
Glad my knees are still performing after 25 years of brutal snowboarding... shoulder are another story, not a good bedtime story either! Lol
I love Siletz. It’s home water after my hour n some drive.. lol
Love it enough to have married out there in it.
Theres no tug like a swung fly... not that I’ve found yet.

Itd be cool to do a float n swing one day yet... inflatable kayak gets crazy fun in low n clear conditions.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have tried a little bit of it, but I am not very good. I only have single hand rods at the moment, so for me it has just been another delivery method. It has been a lot of fun though and something that I really want to do more of. I love fly fishing in general.

G
Gulfstream
I am looking for a 6-7 wt spey set up if anybody has one to sell

Southpaw
Southpaw
Irishrover said:
I enjoy the spey rod. I'm into the Skagit style. It's been a while since I've ventured into the river to swing a fly do to a total knee replacement followed by a total shoulder replacement. I'll be back at it soon. I live close to the Sandy River and it has been a great place to use a spey rod. Tying up spey flies is also great fun.

Sorry to hear that, I fear my shoulder is getting pretty bad and I've been avoiding surgery as of yet. Being a commercial carpenter has definitely taken a toll on my body over the years and I'm not even that old. The Sandy river is awesome, went the first time this year during the Sandy spey clave

Southpaw
Southpaw
TheKnigit said:
I have tried a little bit of it, but I am not very good. I only have single hand rods at the moment, so for me it has just been another delivery method. It has been a lot of fun though and something that I really want to do more of. I love fly fishing in general.

Two hand rods are amazing tools and really cover a lot of water with little effort

Southpaw
Southpaw
markasd said:
Glad my knees are still performing after 25 years of brutal snowboarding... shoulder are another story, not a good bedtime story either! Lol
I love Siletz. It’s home water after my hour n some drive.. lol
Love it enough to have married out there in it.
Theres no tug like a swung fly... not that I’ve found yet.

Itd be cool to do a float n swing one day yet... inflatable kayak gets crazy fun in low n clear conditions.

That's how I've been fishing, from my pontoon. It's totally worth it and you owe it to yourself to do the float

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
A 2 handed rod is on my list for a next fishing rod. A buddy and I are headed out salmon fishing this evening after work. I thought I would take the fly rod along and see what can pick up. I tied up a couple of streamers last night. We will see if I still remember how to spey cast.

Reactions: Southpaw