Where to fish in Tilamook area??

W
waco
Im staying in Netarts Or. Which is very close to tillamook and I want to do some fishing !!! Any tips of where to go will be apreciated!!!! BTW I would like to get into Salmon or Steelies!!! Thanks in advance!!!

troutdude
troutdude
I'm jealous! ;-)

Have you got a boat, or will u be banking it?

W
waco
Thanks Troutdude I forgot to mention Im fishing on the bank!!!

S
skunk
Well I can't' help on the SS but if you want fun, try night fishing off the geribaldi jetty for rock fish. Thats usually nonstop action for me.

W
waco
What kind of set up do I need for that??

S
skunk
What I use is a light wt rod, you could use the fly rod if you can get good at stripping it fast enough. But for these guys I like a 6' light wt rod, a little pencil lead, and a floating rapala. Put the wt on the line like steelhead drift fishing, just enough to keep the line down near the water as I found when standing up on the jetty rocks, the line angles up rather fast from the lure. Then just cast out and vary the retrieve till you find what they hit. I was reeling very fast last time I was out and got a fish on almost every cast. They started bitting just after sunset, so the sky was dim, and I quit at about 10pm when I got tired of catching. I don't know if this is a seasonal fishery, I was there in the spring, so depending on the rockfish habits I'd say its worth a try. Cast in a fan pattern, they really hit it when I cast along the rocks and retrieved parallel to the jetty.