Where to fish in March?

G
Goyanks819
I'm takin a trip on Oregon in march and I want to catch some redsides, cutts and maybe some whitefish. My wife and I will b driving around the state looking at potential places to move to. What's my best option to catch some fish in march and what flies should I use.

C_Run
C_Run
I don't know much about fly fishing but in March, we have a popular game fish here called "winter steelhead". You might consider that and I am sure people here could help with fly advice.

M
Markcanby
Yeah the is coming up to look for a house an wants to catch some trout an you tell him go looking for the hardest fish we have to catch.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am going to have to say your best bet would be the Crooked River. There are no Cutts but the highest catch rates you will find.

Most of the coastal streams are full of Cutts along with a lot of the valley streams.

Where are you thinking of moving?

M
Modest_Man
Almost all rivers and streams will be closed to trout fishing in March. I don't know about the Crooked River. Unless you want to target salmon or steelhead you're going to have to head for a lake.

M
Markcanby
Good point MM I didn't even think about that but a lot of East side rivers don't close because they don't have runs.

troutdude
troutdude
The Crooked is open all year. Most anglers fish small nymph, scud and egg patterns. But, in March there may be hatches of blue-winged olive mayflies. And Chironomids typically hatch about the same time. You may also encounter hatches of brown stoneflies.