Where are you OSP?

M
Markcanby
Instead of getting on OFF an complaining about OSP response time emails should be sent to ODFW an the Gov. I mean after all we are giving OSP 22.32Mil. for the next Biannual an its seem that should pay for more than the 12 or so full-time game officers. So lets send some messages in the right direction.

troutdude
troutdude
steelhead1 said:
Hey chedster,check out the special regs for salmon.Siletz is closed past mill site (around town takeout)heres a link http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/2010_Coastal_Fall_Chinook_Seasons.pdf

Are you sure about that? I just cracked open the 2010 reg book, and it shows the main stem Siltetz open almost up to th falls. There is a marker 900' below the falls. Anything above that marker is closed. The N. and S. Forks and all of there tribs are also closed.

troutdude
troutdude
Moonshine is open guys. Take a look at the regs.

No wonder that dude was mad at you.

B
beaverfan
If Moonshine is below Old Mill Park Boat Launch then yes Moonshine is open. If it is above that then it is closed per the updated regs online. Every year they update the coastal fall chinook regs just before the season starts so it's important to look online.

C
Chedster
troutdude said:
Moonshine is open guys. Take a look at the regs.

No wonder that dude was mad at you.

The regs state "Open for Chinook salmon April 1-Dec. 31, upstream to deadline marker at the Moonshine
Park boat ramp." Old mill boat ramp is way below moonshine park. Even so I was 5 miles above the moonshine boat ramp. I always check and carry the regs when fishing.

B
bigcat
During the fall, osp(the very few wildlife officers left) are most likely frying bigger fish up in the mountains, like deer/elk poachers. Videorecord these schmucks harrassin fish on your phone or videocamera and email it to osp with the liscence plate number of the offenders car and location. Witness testimonial in court does hold strong and probably any judge would lay the hammer down on em with video evidence. if not, karma will get em..

B
beaverfan
If you read the updated regs online, located on the ODFW website and linked above it clearly states, "Mainstem and tributaries above Old Mill Park Boat
Launch (RM 36) closed to Chinook Aug. 1-Dec. 31".

(I have never fished the Siletz so I have no clue where any of these locations are, just going off what the current regs say.)

Last edited:
C
Chedster
Thanks beaverfan I had not seen the updated regs until now but still knew this guy was retaining illegal fish because I had the regs with me, and we were way above the old moonshine park deadline. Good idea bigcat about the video, I usually always have my camera with me.

B
beaverfan
Yup, I hate how they do that. They'll put one thing in print knowing that more than likely it will be changed just prior to the season, but they put no mention that you should check online prior to the coastal fall chinook fishery to see what if anything changed.

G
GDBrown
Finneus Polebender said:
Have called and waited and waited and waited then it got dark and they left! Have called and when they did finally show up was told they have to witness the infraction in order to enforce it! Kinda figured out what calling did just wasted my time and added to my frustration . Now I speak my peace and go about my buisness !

Not True.... two years ago I witnessed some illegal activity on the Wilson River and started by writing down all the license plate numbers in the lot and then called OPS and went to meet them! Even though the OFFenders were gone by the time we got back to the fishing hole the OFFicer called me later that night to report that the OFFenders had been tracked down in Beaverton and were given a citation. They are always greatful for our help. We just have to remember that they may be busy with another crime or traffic problem that is more critical than a fishing violation. Keep Calling!

G
GDBrown
TTFishon said:
Why does this topic have to be a race issue? I'm pretty sure every culture has scumbags that don't care.

It's not really a race issue, it's just that when we don't understand the language being spoken we assume they are not from around here!

T
the_intimidator03
I have called OSP a time or two and they have showed up in a reasonable amount of time.. I have also had my license checked at several locations such as junction city pond, dexter below the dam. as far as other places i dont recall... Oh yes alton baker park.

T
TTFishon
GDBrown said:
It's not really a race issue, it's just that when we don't understand the language being spoken we assume they are not from around here!

But why even mention the fact on this board. I understand for description purposes for OSP but it doesn't need to be mentioned on here. Just my opinion.

F
Finneus Polebender
GDBrown said:
Not True.... two years ago I witnessed some illegal activity on the Wilson River and started by writing down all the license plate numbers in the lot and then called OPS and went to meet them! Even though the OFFenders were gone by the time we got back to the fishing hole the OFFicer called me later that night to report that the OFFenders had been tracked down in Beaverton and were given a citation. They are always greatful for our help. We just have to remember that they may be busy with another crime or traffic problem that is more critical than a fishing violation. Keep Calling!
Very different than my experience but glad to hear it!

F
Finneus Polebender
the_intimidator03 said:
I have called OSP a time or two and they have showed up in a reasonable amount of time.. I have also had my license checked at several locations such as junction city pond, dexter below the dam. as far as other places i dont recall... Oh yes alton baker park.

Hate ta tell ya but those are well known revenue holes!

T
the_intimidator03
Yes that they are... because lots of people fish those area's I think if pictures were shown of how many folks were doing things kinds of things at other locations they may put some effort into those as well.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm glad that you guys knew about the online changes. I had no idea. I've always relied on the reg book. I stand corrected. My apologies. I was only using the book, and decades of past experience. I used to fish the gorge all the time for Nooks, back in the day (when it was open).

I wonder how many peeps even think about looking online for changes? That really BITES!

A
alseaalumaweld
osp wont even go to the siletz ive called there to busy with hunting poatchers rite now

F
Finneus Polebender
the_intimidator03 said:
Yes that they are... because lots of people fish those area's I think if pictures were shown of how many folks were doing things kinds of things at other locations they may put some effort into those as well.

Good point!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Get on with it!!!!!

Get on with it!!!!!

Geeeeeez Laweeeez! :shock: You guys are totally determined to slip these "beech & gripe" threads in here. I know there are some issues that are just too "hot" to not ever mention but,I really don't see the sense in running over a dead skunk so many times all that is left is a bad smell. :confused: :confused: How about if I just make a list of things we all pretty much agree to dislike,find repugnant or out and out get really peeesed off about? That way,they will all be out there in cyber land and we will all know where we stand (sort of :rolleyes:) If I forget any,just pm me and I will add to the list. Otherwise,this thread is destined to go into lock down...:naughty:

1. Trash left behind

2. Snagging fish illegally

3. Combat fishing

4. Vehicle break-ins

5. Unresponsive authorities/Game Wardens

6. Fisher folk not calling OSP or speaking up when a law is broken

6 1/2. Toilet seats left in the 'up' position until an unsuspecting female gets up in the middle of the night and tries SO hard to be thoughtful,leaving the lights OFF and then experiences "Huston,we have splash down" :shock: :( :mad: :rolleyes:

7. Cigarette butts onshore

8. Screaming kids/adults

8 1/2. The inability to use shotguns,hand grenades,harpoons,rocket launchers or anything else in our private arsenals to discourage those damn seals!!

9. Gill netting

10. Late comers walking to the waters' edge,casting twice,walking back to the car with YOUR fish!!

Top Bottom