Where are the steelhead at?

S
sheed
I'm new to this forum and new to steelhead fishing.....well kinda new because I've never caught one.
I was out fishing the Clackamas by the Gladstone area on Saturday but it was dead.
No fish jumping or anything.....where are they at?

T
Tai
sheed said:
I'm new to this forum and new to steelhead fishing.....well kinda new because I've never caught one.
I was out fishing the Clackamas by the Gladstone area on Saturday but it was dead.
No fish jumping or anything.....where are they at?

Welcome to OFF!

I fish the clack quite often, but I haven't caught a steelhead in that area. I know people do find luck at Clackamette park drift fishing or spoon/spinner fishing near the launch and plunking the mouth. At Cross Park, I have seen people catch them on a Bobber and Jig setup. Those are just the two areas I know decently near Gladstone. I usually fish up at McIver Park or at Bonnie lure. My Gramp's and I have been having luck catching some of the late running winters(showing a bit of red coloring) over there. Last weekend when the water was still a bit high, I watched some boaters haul in 4 really bright ones out, so maybe those where springers or early early summers.

Good Luck

S
sheed
Yes I was on the other side of Cross Park where you just get off of Exit 10 off of 205.

K
Kage
I usually fish Clackamette Park and now newly discovered Cross Park and High Rock and same deal...nothing but lost lures. Just came back from a trip and saw a good number of boats at the mouth at Clackamette, one of them told me they'd caught 2 salmons. As for me, I still have yet to catch my first salmon and steelhead...sadness :( Btw, how can I really tell the difference from a bite and my spinner bouncin off the bottom?

C
ChezJfrey
Kage said:
I usually fish Clackamette Park and now newly discovered Cross Park and High Rock and same deal...nothing but lost lures. Just came back from a trip and saw a good number of boats at the mouth at Clackamette, one of them told me they'd caught 2 salmons. As for me, I still have yet to catch my first salmon and steelhead...sadness :( Btw, how can I really tell the difference from a bite and my spinner bouncin off the bottom?

I'll relate some of my experience...

On the bigger water, like the lower Clackamas, I've not had good luck. Steelhead in particular look for the easiest path in the current and will typically select a holding spot near that line. My problem on the lower Clack has often been that where I can access the bank is not always near good holding spots. In fact, one spot in particular I frequented, though I've spotted one fish, I've seen about 10 caught by boaters on the other side of the river, where I can't cast to because of width; most of the fish are traveling along the far bank and will consequently select a nearby lie on that side.

When I started going to smaller systems, where I can reach both sides and fish all the likely lies effectively, I did much better. I still want to get a better feel for the Clackamas as there are lots of fish, but this will involve more exploration until I figure out some good holding spots...that takes time and a lot of 'no fish' outings.

The second part of my story has to do with this question: "Btw, how can I really tell the difference from a bite and my spinner bouncin off the bottom?"

When I described how I was fishing and what type of water I was targeting to a neighbor of mine, he said, "Well, sounds like you've got a decent idea. You're probably getting some bites, but just don't realize it."

So, if I got a bump and wasn't sure if rock/log/fish, I set the hook...started hooking fish. I spent all 12 months of last year with nothing to show for it and so far this year, I'm at 7 to the bank out of 12 hooked. I think I'm starting to get a better feel for the rock/log/fish thing and that's because I now have something to compare. But, even now, if I'm not entirely sure, I don't 2nd guess or hesitate to just yank. One thing's for sure, they don't always slam those spinners/spoons and I've even hooked a couple where I felt nothing, but my line stopped moving downstream. Of course, I've also just hooked into rocks, too ;)

ETA: Oh, but the real reason I started doing better, as was pointed out to me, was my changing the avatar photo :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pinkygonzales
K
Kage
Thanx for the words of wisdom, I had fished in the same spot at Clackamette Park, more narrow and slower moving and i know what it "looks" like on the bottom there now. that has been the only spot that I've gotten a catch although they were bottom feeders :p When I first started letting my spinners hit the bottom I was yanking on EVERY tug, bump and pull and I've lost so much gear from it haha I suppose I should keep in mind that i WILL lose lures along my fisherman's journey. Maybe I'll head to a narrower part of the Clackamas and see if I can do any better. Maybe I should set up an avatar too haha

C
ChezJfrey
Another thing to keep in mind is that some spots, not matter how 'good' they might look as steelhead holding spots might not ever harbor a steelhead in wait.

Also, I think part of the 'learning' experience, in addition to getting a feel for bites, is how to keep the lure from dragging the bottom, but rather, keeping just above the bottom where the fish can see it better and not snag up as often. Don't get me wrong, there are still some days and some drifts where I can't seem to help it. While I don't lose near as many, and can more often go a full day losing 0-2 lures, there are still some days/drifts where I can't seem to get away without losing quite a few...nothing is more, ahem, frustrating than losing one, tying up, then the very next cast lose another, but it still happens to me on occasion.

But, it takes practice and an effort to develop that sense. As I was often told, and however grating it was to hear sometimes (LOL), 'keep at it...you'll get it' :)

K
Kage
Well, I got my avatar set up and I'll be heading out soon to see how I do today down at Clackamette/Cross Park. I may swing over to Carver or McIver so hopefully today I come back with something to show for all my inexperience haha Yah usually I'll do a count so I know what # is hitting bottom and I'll keep a speed reeling in so on the next cast I start reeling 1/2 a count or so before hitting bottom. This time though, I'll be yanking on the rod instead of letting those potential bites just go free :D

C
ChezJfrey
For what it's worth...I've been going into the office this week (instead of working from home), and a guy here told me his buddy went to Carver this past weekend and caught a steelhead and also witnessed another guy get a couple in that area. I usually don't hear of too many fish caught there, but it does happen from time to time!

K
Kage
hit clackamette and cross park, nothing there and might hit carver but maybe not due to the incoming rain

A
anhtran3105
anyone know a good spot for steelhead or salmon on Clakcamas or Sandy river?