Where are the drifts...

T
The Nothing
Thinking that I'm going to take my Kayak down to the Clackamas this week to see if i can find out how to side drift for steelhead. I've found plenty of reference material for fish for metal, but what are some of the better drifts?

Never spent any time on the Clack, so I'm not sure what I'm up against. Is there a stretch where I can paddle back up river or am I gonna have to lock up the yak and hitchhike? This drifting thing is new to me...

L
Last Cast
I would think you could pull that off if you were to put in at Carver depending on the cfs of the river. River side park down would be a pretty sure bet.

J
JMR
The Nothing,
I've floated the section from carver to riverside 8-10 times since last summer in a hobie Kayak and love the section, but beware. The river is still flowing pretty damn high. A lot of times, I will just stay at Carver and drift fish the run above the bridge as well as the big hole below. I maybe heading there Saturday morning, if the river continues to drop. I fished(only at Carver) last Sunday when the river was flowing at 14 feet. Thats the Max for me. At 9Pm tonight its dropped back down to 14.5 after spending the last couple days just above 16. If it continues to drop below 14, Im going! Let me know if you would like to run the section together from Carver to Riverside on saturday. Its much safer to have two people then one, especially this time of year. The steelhead fishing has been awesome though. I've seen many many drift boats over the last week pulling out at Carver and all the boats had some quanity of steelhead on board.
Tight Lines!

J
justNorthofya
I'd like to float with you Saturday if you don't mind...I've never ran the Clackamas and would like to learn it Carver to Riverside sounds fine

J
JMR
Sorry, but i got invited tomorrow to fish a little private land on EagleCreek. Some other time though. This post is 3 weeks old, but I would definatly float it with you some other time soon. I just got caught my first and second winter steelhead ever 2 weeks ago floating it. Do you fish from your yak?

S
solocean
JMR,
I think I saw you sitting out at the hole below Carver Bridge a couple of weeks ago. Is it possible to paddle back up from Riverside to Carver at 14.
how was it landing them in your yak?

J
justNorthofya
no, I have a drift boat. I used to own a pontoon boat and loved it but traded up when I got the chance.

I realized it was an older post after I had commented...but I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it up

Last edited: