When do winter steelhead arrive on coastal river systems?

B
bigdog
masmith said:
I completely dissagree. I am learning how to fish. The only chance I have to catch anything at my stage is to fish in the right spot at the right time.
masmith said:
If I am in the wrong place at the wrong time I have no chance, regardless of what the experience may be.
masmith said:
I am not looking for seperate opinions. I am asking a question to people who know more then I do.

It has nothing to do with time, it is just annoying to ask a question an then get a soapbox answer and a set of opinions.

I can try to be intelligent with the time I have, get the best information possible, and try to be in the right place, right time, and try to be succesful with the limited time I have.

This is why people are thinking you don't want to hit the water unless you know your going to get a fish. Fishing is all about being in the right place at the right time but what people are trying to say to you is that you need to be out there working for it and enjoying yourself being on the water. No one really knows exactly when the fish are going to be there that is why you need to spend the time on the water looking for them and make yourself be at the right place at the right time. If you wait to hit the water after someone tells you that the fish are there then you are going to be a day late and the fish that were there will be gone.

Also when asking something on a open forum like this you have to know that you are going to get more then one opinion thats what this is all about. Instead of trying to cut down someone opinion or stating how you don't like it or it wasn't the answer you were looking for you should try taking all the info that you like and learning from it the rest just let it go or even store it in the back of your mind for another time when it just might come in handy.

I'm not wanting to come across as a @$$ or anything just want you to try to understand where myself and others are coming from. I wish you the best of luck out there and hope you are able to get in to some fish this winter.

CJ

M
masmith
bigdog said:
This is why people are thinking you don't want to hit the water unless you know your going to get a fish. Fishing is all about being in the right place at the right time but what people are trying to say to you is that you need to be out there working for it and enjoying yourself being on the water. No one really knows exactly when the fish are going to be there that is why you need to spend the time on the water looking for them and make yourself be at the right place at the right time. If you wait to hit the water after someone tells you that the fish are there then you are going to be a day late and the fish that were there will be gone.

Also when asking something on a open forum like this you have to know that you are going to get more then one opinion thats what this is all about. Instead of trying to cut down someone opinion or stating how you don't like it or it wasn't the answer you were looking for you should try taking all the info that you like and learning from it the rest just let it go or even store it in the back of your mind for another time when it just might come in handy.

I'm not wanting to come across as a @$$ or anything just want you to try to understand where myself and others are coming from. I wish you the best of luck out there and hope you are able to get in to some fish this winter.

CJ

I see what you are saying, but again, the assumption that because I want to make sure I am fishing the runs when they are actually running means that I am lazy or don't want to put time in is simply wrong. Also, it is condescending and would make anyone upset.

C
chris61182
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like this thread has derailed so badly that it belongs on that other sight of which we shall not speak. I really doubt anyone intended anyone else any offense when this all started but it's long since gotten past that point.

I know the next 24hrs are going to be rough with the water rising and all, but maybe a break from the keyboard might help everyone a bit. :yay:

B
bigfootfish
masmith,
I've been fishing for over 40 years and almost everyday I realize that I need to learn so much more. I thought for sure I'd catch me at least ONE coho this season once I realized how many fish were coming over W. Falls. And they still are. Egad! I love it.:lol:
Anyway, I didn't hook a coho. Yet. I'll keep trying. And the times I sought and found coho rolling in front of me but couldn't entice 'em to bite....! God I had and am having fun chasing them.:dance:
As has been said, chill out and be cool.:cool:

BFF

B
bigdog
bigfootfish said:
masmith,
I've been fishing for over 40 years and almost everyday I realize that I need to learn so much more. I thought for sure I'd catch me at least ONE coho this season once I realized how many fish were coming over W. Falls. And they still are. Egad! I love it.:lol:
Anyway, I didn't hook a coho. Yet. I'll keep trying. And the times I sought and found coho rolling in front of me but couldn't entice 'em to bite....! God I had and am having fun chasing them.:dance:
As has been said, chill out and be cool.:cool:

BFF

Oh it can drive you crazy when you know they are right there and still can't get one. What makes it wores is when you are there and the guy next to you is getting in to fish but you don't get so much as a bump. I have had that happen and that can really get to you:lol:

T
Troutier Bassier
And when the guy whos catching all the fish hooks one up and gives the rod to you, Right when you get it, Fish off. :mad: :lol:

B
bigfootfish
BDog & TBass,
Right on! TB, I had a friend get a ticket from a Game Warden for hooking a fish and handing the pole to his wife for her to catch the fish. Oh. It should be in the Regs! Be right back.
Hmmm. Looked on pages 7 & 8 of the hardcopy version of the 2009 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations, which I just call the regs. Curious. Couldn't locate anything about that.:think:

BFF

C
chris61182
bigfootfish said:
BDog & TBass,
Right on! TB, I had a friend get a ticket from a Game Warden for hooking a fish and handing the pole to his wife for her to catch the fish. Oh. It should be in the Regs! Be right back.
Hmmm. Looked on pages 7 & 8 of the hardcopy version of the 2009 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations, which I just call the regs. Curious. Couldn't locate anything about that.:think:

BFF

That's unfortunate, the Game Warden wrote a bad ticket in that case. It looks like the issue is covered on page 4, Tags, 7th bullet point.

The angler who landed the fish must record the fish on his or her tag irrespective of who hooked the fish.

B
bigfootfish
However....

However....

Good research there, chris61182. However, that should only apply if he had hooked a salmon, steelhead or other fish that would require tagging. I didn't actually say it was one of those, but I can see the assumption it would be easy to make considering the thread is about steelhead. My bad!:(

BFF

C
chris61182
bigfootfish said:
Good research there, chris61182. However, that should only apply if he had hooked a salmon, steelhead or other fish that would require tagging. I didn't actually say it was one of those, but I can see the assumption it would be easy to make considering the thread is about steelhead. My bad!:(

BFF

Fair enough on that only applying to fish requiring tagging, though there's still nothing in the regulations about the people passing the rod:). I'd be curious to see what the trooper wrote the ticket for, I imagine they have to write down what the offense/violation was.

B
bigfootfish
:yay:
:lol:
:D:
);
):
:cool:
:confused:
:rolleyes:
:shock:
:mad:
:dance:
:clap:
:think:
:pray:
:naughty:

B
bigfootfish
Darn! Tried to spell something using the faces for letters. Didn't work.:redface:

Anyway, I'm curious about that also, chris61182. Could it have been a phony ticket? I know about those....

BFF

C
chris61182
bigfootfish said:
Anyway, I'm curious about that also, chris61182. Could it have been a phony ticket? I know about those....

I'd be a little worried it was. If it was I have no idea how to contest it.

R
rainman
Mike123 said:
Beware of the land owner just below Blackberry park!!
That guy rules that little strip of land with brutality!
I thought on any navigable river you can legally fish the high water mark??!! :think:

Anyone know anything about these types of laws?

First you need to determine the legal meaning of the word navigable. My understanding is that it's considered navigable if done so by commercial interests, not just because you can navigate a boat on it.
Several years ago, landowners on the N. Santiam at Neal Park closed off a very popular spot. :shock: I talked to a county deputy sheriff, and was told they had the right, and that a person could not even anchor off that spot, on account the property lines went out to mid-stream.:(
Gotta love them arcane laws.

O
OnTheFly
navigable

navigable

A state trooper told me once that I needed a life jacket on board my pontoon boat. I asked him where does this apply? He said in all navigable waters. I was fishing Olallie lake that day.

R
rainman
halibuthitman said:
I used to see it as some level of religion.... but it looks like politics more every year... and some days... war

Agreed. Some places, at some times, with some people, it's like war without the killing!!

R
rainman
youngbuck307 said:
halibuthitman i fish bait and i but my cigarette butts in a pocket on my vest and take them back home with me! some of them might but wouldnt say a lot of them or most of them do lol

When I was a younger man, Outdoor Life magazine had a column written by H.G. Tapply called Tap's Tips. It was there that I first heard about The Campers Code- Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
Been doing that ever since.

R
rainman
halibuthitman said:
aaaah right... yes there are dumb questions, and no you cannot be anything you want when you grow up if you put your mind to it.... stop lying to our children.:naughty:

If there is no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask ?? Do they get smart all of a sudden ?? :lol:

B
bigfootfish
Navigable waters....

Navigable waters....

Okay OFFers. The answer to the question about where we can fish. The Oregon Sportfishing Regs makes it rather clear, but not completely so. Page 13. Has a nice diagram and everything. By the way, county mounties are the last person you want to ask about fishing regulations. I have yet to get an accurate answer regarding fishing rules from a county mountie. The Oregon State Police Game Wardens are the best source for accurate rule info. But since they are human like the rest of us they make mistakes too. This law about the "line of ordinary high water" is still under much review and discussion everywhere, amoungst anglers and lawmakers alike.:think:

BFF

R
rainbowfisherman
Any update on steelhead in the alsea yet????