When do winter steelhead arrive on coastal river systems?

V
VagrantAngler
masmith said:
Well, let me know if you hit any north coast streams and have any luck or hear of any winters being caught. I want to really hit the winter steel hard this year but I don't want to start too early.

You can't catch em if you're line isn't in the water. There are people catching early fish as we speak. The big numbers aren't there but there are fish in the water. Sometimes it's even nice to be out without the crowds that show when "the fish are in"

B
bigdog
masmith said:
Well, let me know if you hit any north coast streams and have any luck or hear of any winters being caught. I want to really hit the winter steel hard this year but I don't want to start too early.

If you wait for a fishing report then you are going to be a day late.

M
metalmania
bigdog said:

:lol:Exactly. Get out and fish:D.

B
bigdog
I'm thinking about going to the clack this saterday for my birthday present to myself :lol: Heard there has been a coupled pulled out already so I'm thinking of going and looking for my couple fish as well.

M
masmith
bigdog said:

I completely dissagree. I am learning how to fish. The only chance I have to catch anything at my stage is to fish in the right spot at the right time. This is my first year salmon fishing, so the only way I'll know when and where is to ask. For me fishing can only happen on teh weekend and will take the entire day- so I will not waste the day fishing steelhead before they are in decent numbers to make it worthwhile.

F
Fishtopher
thats not hittin it hard.:lol:

Y
youngbuck307
when i first picked up steelhead fishing i was out fishing all the time when people told me to save the gas its not worth it..... never picked a winter up but have done great on summers and coho! Only reason i think i did do good was because of all the time i had already put on the water and learned out there.... some stuff you will only learn form being on the water

M
metalmania
bigdog said:
I'm thinking about going to the clack this saterday for my birthday present to myself :lol: Heard there has been a coupled pulled out already so I'm thinking of going and looking for my couple fish as well.

It's to early for winters, but you can definitly find some summers still around up higher.

B
Bohemian
bigdog said:

I've heard the same. Think I'll be out too.

P
plumb2fish
masmith said:
I I am learning how to fish.

Just like anything practice practice and then more practice. There is absolutely no substitution for time on the water. As was already stated you can't catch em if your line is not in the water. The smaller north coast streams as well as a couple of small Columbia river tribs would be a good place to start. i.e. North Fork Nehalem, Gnat Creek, Big Creek.

M
masmith
plumb2fish said:
Just like anything practice practice and then more practice. There is absolutely no substitution for time on the water. As was already stated you can't catch em if your line is not in the water. The smaller north coast streams as well as a couple of small Columbia river tribs would be a good place to start. i.e. North Fork Nehalem, Gnat Creek, Big Creek.

I understand this- but fishing for coho in July wouldn't make sense would it? That's what I am getting at.

B
beaverfan
You can catch them right now, you just gotta get out and try it. It took me over a year before I hooked my first Steelhead. It takes a lot of time on the water.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hearing other people is different from listening

Hearing other people is different from listening

Masmith;
I really do understand what you're saying. I don't know if you're "hearing" what the rest are saying. Basically it boils down to if you are out fishing and learning how to use different techniques,read the water,learn what the fish won't bite and what your own limits are,then when the big ones come strolling down the lane you will be waiting for them and BANG! They're yours!
Oh,and don't believe all those lies about how fast your second one will come. I caught my first one two years ago and,even though I haven't been out much this year,I still have yet to hook AND land my second. Of course,that could be because I have more time in the house than on the water this year...sad,but true.

B
bigdog
masmith said:
I understand this- but fishing for coho in July wouldn't make sense would it? That's what I am getting at.

No it wouldn't but your not fishing for coho either. Almost everyone I know of that fishes for winters the first trip they make is thanksgiving weekend. Beings that is only a week away it wouldn't hurt for you to get out in the water and learn the rivers a little more. The more you know the water the better your chances are going to be. You were asking for advice not a debate right?

What I was saying about being a day late is these winters will move fast and if you go where the fishing report is the fish that were being caught we be gone (further upstream). It never hurts to be on the river enjoying yourself. Every day on the water is a good day getting in to fish is a bonus.

B
Bohemian
beaverfan said:
You can catch them right now, you just gotta get out and try it. It took me over a year before I hooked my first Steelhead. It takes a lot of time on the water.

I am still very much a beginner at Steelhead fishing, but this year has been my most rewarding year ever. I read everything I could find on this forum and then went out and failed miserably -- over and over again :confused:. But while I was doing this I was gaining experience (I was also having fun)...then when some very kind people (members of this forum) pointed out some things for me to try and to change, I was ready to accept and act on the advice given. And "lo and behold" -- I started catch fish.Good things are worth working for! :)

T
Thuggin4Life
You could try the main umpqua I might give it a try very soon.

S
solution7
Bohemian said:
I am still very much a beginner at Steelhead fishing, but this year has been my most rewarding year ever. I read everything I could find on this forum and then went out and failed miserably -- over and over again :confused:. But while I was doing this I was gaining experience (I was also having fun)...then when some very kind people (members of this forum) pointed out some things for me to try and to change, I was ready to accept and act on the advice given. And "lo and behold" -- I started catch fish.Good things are worth working for! :)

It's fun fishing with ya masmith Let's hit Nestucca next Friday...

Last edited:
F
fisch
I'm ready for some Steel. I'm out of town for few weekends but I think I might hit some water after thanksgiving. Maybe we can have some newbe Steel OFF meeting.

Also I'm not ready to give up on chinook. I'm gonna go hit Wilson/Trask/Kilchis next Thu/Fri. Anyone up for it?

P
plumb2fish
masmith said:

I caught a fluke Coho on july 30 on the Kalama about 5 years ago.And in the salt that is the best time of year.The great thing about steelhead is that you can find them every month of the year in this state as well as washington. Knowing when the timing of the fish you are after optimizes your chances.That I definitely agree with.Steelhead can definitely be tough to catch.... Find someone who is willing to take you who catches fish, buy the beer bait tackle gas ect. and pick their brain for everthing they will giveup

M
masmith
plumb2fish said:
I caught a fluke Coho on july 30 on the Kalama about 5 years ago.And in the salt that is the best time of year.The great thing about steelhead is that you can find them every month of the year in this state as well as washington. Knowing when the timing of the fish you are after optimizes your chances.That I definitely agree with.Steelhead can definitely be tough to catch.... Find someone who is willing to take you who catches fish, buy the beer bait tackle gas ect. and pick their brain for everthing they will giveup

The problem is that I don't know anyone, so I am on my own pretty much. With that said, if I am in the wrong place at the wrong time I have no chance, regardless of what the experience may be.