What kind of rock is this?

J
Jsjmac1
I caught this rock fish and I have no idea what kind it is. The regulations were kind of confusing as to what can be kept or not and some help would be greatly appreciated. I caught it at Boiler Bay. Thanks for any assistance you guys can give. Disregard the star fish pic. I cannot remove the picture of it.

2012-09-01_15-17-19_436.jpg

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
I can't see it, but I'm using my iphone..sooo....sorry. I thought this thread was literally going to be asking about a rock LOL.

C
ChezJfrey
JeannaJigs said:
I can't see it, but I'm using my iphone..sooo....sorry. I thought this thread was literally going to be asking about a rock LOL.

Well, I've caught plenty of rock fish, but none of mine ever had fins. ;)

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
JeannaJigs said:

that was kinda what i was thinking also....

as for the fish :think: not sure

R
rum runner
its a green ling they have many colors to them red like that one to brown,grey,green,and iv cought some that were almost black with orange spots good eating but when cut up the meat is green but cooks white.

R
rum runner
and congrats at boiler bay thats where i grew up!

T
the_intimidator03
looks like a female kelp greenling to me, Also known as a "sea trout"

M
Mad dog
Rock Greenling....not kelp Greenling, two different sub-species.

J
Jsjmac1
Thanks so much for the replies. I was confused and looking at the pictures in the regs and trying to match the fish. I had no idea that the green ling came in different colors. Do they taste good?

R
rum runner
o yah there yummy in fish tacos! the meat is a little on the soft side not your flaky stuff like ling cod, bass... but still good

N
Noahk
Those are good eats! They can also be a ton of fun on light tackle.

R
rum runner
yah.... i like getting low on the water with sand shrimp 1/2-1oz weight on a 6 1/2 foot trout rod with 10 lb line and get them. supper fun and so are the big perch to if you can find them in the grass and kelp beds close to shore

S
sportsmanlio
Definitely a Greenling. One easy way to tell Kelp or Rock Greenling apart from Lingcod or Rockfish is that they don't have any spines. Apart from semi-rough scales, you can run your hand all over a Greenling without poking yourself. They also have much smaller mouths than Rockfish or Lingcod.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I bet catching greenling on 10lb test is fun but be careful. Sometimes when you're reeling in a greeny a big mean Ling Cod with come and grab on to him, trust me I've had it happen. A big ling with snap that 10lb line quick

B
bythesea
sea trout for sure,,,nice one too.