M
Markcanby
From what I can see looks like a Yellow Bull

T
tomriker
are they any good to eat? or just junk fish

F
Finneus Polebender
Not an expert But Id say ya got a brown bullhead there , very common around here almost every pond/lake has them except the ones that hold the channel cats ! TT kept seein baby cats when we were fishin the umpqua said they were black Does any one know what type are in the Umpqua? think the brown bullhead babys are born kinda black and pick up their color as they get a little bigger. decent size though TR think the biggest I ever caught was about 16 in and prob weighed a little over 1 lb.

Last edited:
T
tomriker
that one was from lastnight, last weekend we caught around 15 all bigger than that i think. and the ones last week had huge swollen bellys, this one didn't have a belly at all. not sure what that's about either. don't know if you noticed when you were here, but the little pond next to my grandparents house there's a 4ft+ blue cat in there that my brother caught 4 years ago, i should try for him some time :)

F
Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
are they any good to eat? or just junk fish

they are good when not spawning "can be muddy tastin then " the only thing I dont like is cleaning them .Was taught to nail the head down cut skin around head peel back with pliers then filet each side . with their avg size being small takes a few to make a meal . Just a little more work than I like and a bit nasty cause they gotta be nailed "suckers live for days out of water " unless ya want to skin em alive and they got spines

Last edited:
F
Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
that one was from lastnight, last weekend we caught around 15 all bigger than that i think. and the ones last week had huge swollen bellys, this one didn't have a belly at all. not sure what that's about either. don't know if you noticed when you were here, but the little pond next to my grandparents house there's a 4ft+ blue cat in there that my brother caught 4 years ago, i should try for him some time :)

Now that would be a true cat ,thought youd mentioned a blue when we were there .If the big lake had those the brown /yellow bullhead would soon be toast ! Thats the kinda cats fools down south noodle for I think , not gonna get this ol boy to try that , would be one heck of a fight on a rod though! the swollen belly ones have just been findin more food they can eat enormous amounts once they find food . The biggest LM Bass I ever caught had an 8 in brown bullhead in its throat !

T
tomriker
well FP there are some nutrea holes in that little pond you can stick your arm up and see if you come out with a cat :) ill video tape it!

F
Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
well FP there are some nutrea holes in that little pond you can stick your arm up and see if you come out with a cat :) ill video tape it!

Sorry TR quit drinkin 10 yrs ago dont think youll get me to take that dare !