What fly to swing for steelhead?

S
steelhead_slayer
I was taught to nymph for steelhead. I tried swinging a couple times last year. i Caught a nice bull trout, but no steelhead. I want to get into swinging this year. Will anyone please share suggestions on what flies or colors to swing on the Deschutes. thanks :)

M
Markcanby
Greenbutt Skunk it the #1 D fly.

E
eggs
Go dark colors and small w/ a bright tail or butt.. flyfishusa.com and go to flies than summer steelhead flies..

S
steelhead_slayer
thank you for your responses. i think i have a green skunk butt ill try. are intruders a good options?

Last edited:
M
matt95
Intruders are great flies for steelhead, but are such a pain to cast with a single hander that they are not worth it. If you are using a single hander stick with the smaller traditional style flies such as green butt skunks.

matt

S
steelhead_slayer
thanks! ill post how it goes

S
steelhead_slayer
i made it up to the river yesterday. I decided to try to swing. unfortunately i didn't have a green butt skunk like i thought, but i had a leech pattern. I had 4 fish on and one chase my fly up to me. i didn't get to land any fish due to a very dull hook though. so i came out 0-for-4, one nice bass, and a pike minnow. on a side note i meet the nicest guy who gave me and my brother in law a lot of advice, and even gave us his hole. its always great to meet people like that.