Weekend sampler: Fall Creek area and Blue River

S
SmallStreams
Overall, the fishing was a little slow and we didn't see any of the larger trout (12+").

Started out on Winberry Creek on Friday. Caught a 9" cutthroat and saw a few other keepers.

Moving on to Fall Creek below the dam, I caught a 10+" cutthroat and lost another (larger?). I really like the "mini-Deschutes" water there.

Up to the Weyerhauser gate on Little Fall Creek and we caught some undersized trout. Lovely pools but the keeper fish were just not interested.

Final Friday stop was Fall Creek above the reservoir where my fishing buddy caught his first (and only) keeper, an 8" cutthroat that had dined on a crawdad for its last meal [this is the smallest trout I've ever found with a crawdad in its belly!].

Saturday we went to Blue River above the reservoir. First stop was MP7 where the stocked rainbow would peek out at our spinners and then lazily move back to their lie. They made it clear that spinners were not on their diet, so I tied on a green wooly bugger and got a pair of 10.5" rainbow in two casts. Friend couldn't quite nail the third one.

Above Quentin Creek, we fished a number of pools upstream until we hit a logjam. The native cutthroat there were somewhat cooperative in biting on the spinners, but nothing quite keeper size... the 7" one that I pulled out of a long 18" deep pool was fun, though, and much bigger than I expected in that spot! Strangely, in retracing our steps, the fish had quit biting like a switch had been flipped. We paused to count the fish in one deep pool because the water was still and the light just right-- we swear there were 30 trout down in there, with about 5 keepers!

Tried heading to Lookout Creek only to instantly notice the "closed to angling" posting <ahem>, so we doubled back to Blue River at about MP5 and finished out the day. Nothing was interested in either flies or spinners, though we did get some strikes from a keeper each time we changed lures. I'm guessing that the thunderstorm moving north had some influence on the lack of bites.

On our way back home (Portland and Oregon City), we were even with the thunderstorm the whole way and got to watch a spectacular light show.

18406ej
18406ej
Thanks for the nice report- sounds like you had a busy day

W
womanwhofishes
those are our favorite places to fish.. you had much better luck then us.. thanks for the story..:)

Troutski
Troutski
Full circle...

Full circle...

Well you made the full circle that is for sure, this time of year the Trout angling does slow down due to the influx of Steelhead and Salmon headed up stream to spawn. Try the same loop in about a month or so and your catch rate will increase dramatically.
The Fall Creek basin is by far my favorite play ground during the Fall and Winter months, keep up the spinner work...the fish do respond to them better when they aren't being pushed away by much larger fish. Great report ....

Chuck

S
SmallStreams
The rainbow are from Blue River and the cutthroat from Fall Creek area.