Waterproof cameras

K
koboabe
Hello all,
does anyone here have a waterproof camera or waterproof housing?
do you like it?
which make/model?

I am looking at the Cannon D10, but havent made up my mind yet.

J
joesnuffy
Here is the one i have. Nice photos. rugged. waterproof up to 30ft.

Olympus Stylus 720 SW Digital camera - 7.1 Megapixel - 3 x optical zoom

the only problem is that the view screen gets scratched up easy. it doesn't really bother me because it doesn't effect the photos.

here is a photo with it
3747415854_b850d56fd0.jpg

K
koboabe
have you thought about a thin screen for the LCD?
I have an Invisible Shield™
I have one on my iphone and it is pretty bulletproof.

I leave my phone in a dry bag while I am on the water. so I don't know how well it will hold up underwater, but I'm sure you could find some protective film that would

J
joesnuffy
by the time i thought of that it was too late...... :(

1bigfish
I also have an Olympus Stylus and love it. I have an older one(don't remember the model off hand) and the have never had a problem with it. After 3 years of it going on countless fishing trip I have yet to scratch the view screen and I never even use the carring case.

What ever camera you decide on make sure you get a wrist strap that will float the camera. Mine have went over board twice now so I was very glad it floats.

D
Dan Feller
I also have an Olympus Stylus, mine is a 770 SW. I have really enjoyed it. It is compact, nearly indestructible, and goes 30' underwater! It takes pretty decent pictures for a point-and-shoot, especially considering all the lens components are inside the body. I bought a silicone skin for mine, it keeps it from getting scratched and adds a bit more shock resistance.

These are a few pictures I've taken with it. They aren't full resolution as I have dial-up internet service (gonna have to spring for satellite internet one of these days...) but they give you an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chromatose
Chromatose
I bought a Pentax W20 a number of years ago. It has been a great little camera. It has been with me under the water :rolleyes: That is another story. It has taken all my falls and tumbles. I keep it tethered to a clip on 36 inch lanyard on my vest. In the boat I like to clip my Orange floaty to it. Nothing worse than to watch your camera sinking to the bottom of the lake that is 100+ feet deep. Again another story. :rolleyes:

eggsuckingleech.png

Good Luck with what ever you decide to buy.

Last edited:
S
SmallStreams
Olympus really has the format/controls down pat compared to the other cameras at the bottom price points.

After viewing YouTube - Bull Trout eating a Cutthroat Trout I nearly bought whatever is the latest model this year, but... the movie mode isn't widescreen yet. So I'm waiting until next year to see if they fix that little feature.

K
koboabe
D10 for the win...

D10 for the win...

Well I pulled the trigger a Canon PowerShot D10.
can't wait to get some underwater pics

Last edited by a moderator:
C
chris61182
That Canon looks nice, now if only my Olympus 850sw would develop a leak so I could justify a new camera! My current non-waterproof Canon beats the pants off the Olympus image quality wise, so if I could get both in one package that would be awesome.