Water fatality count...

troutdude
troutdude
Heard on the radio today that we have, so far, had 22 water fatalities in Oregon for the year. In EVERY SINGLE CASE NONE of the victims was wearing a PERSONAL FLOTATION DEVICE!!!

With this weekend forecast to be one the HOTTEST ON RECORD...PLEASE WEAR YOUR FLOTATION DEVICES!!! Please do NOT be the next VICTIM! Please live to see another day.

Reactions: shiverfix, fromthelogo and portlandrain
bass
bass
Your concern is well placed but this weekend is only going to be mildly warm. 82 tomorrow, 91 on Sunday and 93 on Monday.

Plenty warm and caution is warranted but not close to even being considered one of the HOTTEST ON RECORD.

troutdude
troutdude
Really @bass? You're going to be petty about semantics? When I'm trying help keep people safe in particular. You haven't got anything better to do? Wow.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
bass
bass
Yes, really @troutdude I believe that over sensationalizing things is one of the biggest problems facing the world today. I will always call it out.

I did agree with your premise of being safe. I only disagreed with how you went about it. The issue is that everyone who over-sensationalizes any topic always responds with exact same righteous indignation as you have here. I am just really tired of it.

If you want to "stick to your guns" then you are welcome to do so. Just don't expect me to go along with it.

I think you contribute a lot of great information on this site, but I just don't agree with how you approached this. I do sincerely wish you the best.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I am a true believer in being safe in and on the water. First thing you need to use is your BRAIN. It is a sad thing that so many people have died so far this year, but look at the reasons. Their are thermal conditions, conditions of the body and the reason the died. Many of them have died because they or somebody responsible for them did not use their brain and or common sense. A life jacket only increases your chance of coming out alive and it is not a guarantee. If what you are doing will put somebody else in peril to rescue you then DON'T DO IT.

Reactions: shiverfix and fromthelogo
S
shiverfix
I have already told my wife that we are going to invest is some comfortable self inflating life vests. While we totally should have been wearing them here in Colorado, the water up there is much less forgiving. We will be wearing them whenever we are out on the water. Not a time to be cheaping out. Going to get something comfortable so it will always be worn instead of something cheap and uncomfortable that might have a habit of coming off...

bass
bass
shiverfix said:
I have already told my wife that we are going to invest is some comfortable self inflating life vests. While we totally should have been wearing them here in Colorado, the water up there is much less forgiving. We will be wearing them whenever we are out on the water. Not a time to be cheaping out. Going to get something comfortable so it will always be worn instead of something cheap and uncomfortable that might have a habit of coming off...

If you get self-inflating vests just make sure you do not let them expire. Typically you need to change out (re-charge or re-arm) the inflation mechanism every couple of years or so - it depends on the mechanism. That should not be a problem when you first get one (unless it has been on the shelf for years).

Reactions: shiverfix
S
shiverfix
bass said:
If you get self-inflating vests just make sure you do not let them expire. Typically you need to change out (re-charge or re-arm) the inflation mechanism every couple of years or so - it depends on the mechanism. That should not be a problem when you first get one (unless it has been on the shelf for years).
Good information, thanks! Let me know if you have any suggestions for comfortable non inflating varieties. I'm just wanting something that will be comfortable to wear while fishing.

Aervax
Aervax
I strongly agree with @newfydog on going with PFDs made specifically for kayaking.
I've owned around 50 different PFDs between different water sports and growing bodies of my children over the years. My kayak vest design looks much like the one in his link, and it's my favorite by far.

Kayak vests are designed to allow for greatest range of motion with least resistance while paddling in a windmill like motion. Range of motion needed is similar to casting a fishing lure.

I also like the comfort and range of motion on self inflating PFDs that my pal provides when fishing from his sled on the Columbia. He is a guide and uses the Mustang self inflating PFDs.

My only complaint about his particular Mustang PFDs is that the material is constantly plucking at my beard hairs and occasionally head hair too. It's like it grabs onto it and doesn't want to let go. It's pretty annoying to have a few hairs pulled everytime a guy turns his head. Sometimes it goes beyond annoying and actually pulls hard enough hurt a little.

I'm not sure the hair pulling thing is a problem for everyone. Could be my hair and beard are just the right diameter and length to catch in the heavy duty coarse cordura weave of that particular PFD.

That's been my experience for the two cents it's probably worth.

Reactions: bass