Warm Springs to Trout Creek

M
mezzfin
Indulged in a mid-week guided drift with my son today down the big D in search of steelhead. Put in around 7am and a dozen or so casts into the day I watched the indicator go down hard and the line zip off the reel. Big fish on! Kept the tension on, reeled in when I could. The steelie took out line when he could. The guide starts to jog to get the bigger net :shock: and the line goes slack. A second later, the tug resumes, but it doesn't feel right. When I land the fish, there's a 2lb whitey stuck in its side on the first of my two nymphs, but no steel Looks like whitey got ran into which put just enough slack in the line to release the guy I was after.

I had another steel hit later, but a couple quick tugs and my nymph was gone - 8wt fly line and 1x leader/tippet. To make up for those two, I was able to land some a couple sweet redsides - a 17' and a 20". Here is that 20:

T
Tribal16
Sounds like you had a good day! Nice redside!

I
idahojeff
Nice fish dude!

F
fisherwilly
Bummer on losing those steelhead. Good to know you hooked into a couple and got some nice trout. Sometimes those 18-20" redsides make you feel all steelhead gitty for the first couple headshakes.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Hell yeah Mezz! Nice lookin trout daddy.