Walter Wirth bass and rainbow

A
aknomad
Has anyone actually caught a sizable fish out of walter Wirth? I've caught plenty of tiny (two inches at best) bass and trout but nothing worth keeping. This seems to be a very popular lake (pond). Am I missing something?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You betcha! ;) I have caught several over 12" and my son (Autofisher) caught a 27" stocker. :shock: Try Powerbait a foot or two off the bottom. The biggest ones I've seen stay fairly close to shore, say within the first 10'. Don't give up, there are some surprises in there just waiting for you. :D

A
aknomad
Hey thanks! I'll keep at it. Which part were you fishing in? The North by the culvert? Or South? I've talked to others who say the North end is the best either at dusk or dawn.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I've only really fished between the two docks...just moving around every 10-15 minutes if there isn't a crowd. If you want room to roam get there early to avoid the masses. And if you check the stocking schedule, I would avoid being there that day unless you want to be in the crowd chasing the truck from one spot to another.

A
aknomad
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Power bait it is. I'll post pics of my catch (hopefully a 27") haha.

18406ej
18406ej
Good morning Barb and Aknomad,

For the record, Barb is an expert on all things fishy and I would never question her advice, period. I do have a question about the local ponds and the stupid heat: Given the depth of Walter Wirth and Walling Pond and the length of time suffered by me through the stupid heat AND the lack of recent stockings, is there in fact anything alive to catch in either pond, or have both bodies of water been transformed (by stupid heat) into over-sized community turreens of trout soup (kept at a perfect serving temperature by this never-ending, God-forsaken heat!) ?

Eamon

A
aknomad
I actually caught a few bass last night (super small ones) and a rainbow the night before (also too small to keep). So I know they're still alive. Haha

18406ej
18406ej
Akno-

Good for you! Hope you had a fun time,

EJ

troutdude
troutdude
During the dog days of summer, you'll have much better success with bass and panfish. Trout do NOT like warm water--and will go where their is cooler water. You might try working around, to where Mill Creek spills in...if you want a chance for trout. Bounce a bit o' worm, or a couple of salmon eggs along--with little or no weight.