Umpqua trout / bass tips please

troutdude
Hello everyone. A few of my high school classmates, and I, will be camping at Lemolo Lake in late June. Where we plan to fish for Browns and Bows. But I'm wondering where I could find a good spot, or two, to fish on the way back to Roseburg on my trip back home. So somewhere between Lemolo and Roseburg.

I'd love to find some good spots/holes for either trout or smallies. Any tips or tricks--or good stretches of the Umpqua--would be greatly appreciated, especially where I could get into some smallies.

Last edited:
jamisonace
You'll need to get down to the South or Main Umpqua for bass but I love to fly fish for trout on the North. The area I fish for trout is very productive but is within the fly only boundaries.

Are you fishing from the bank or do you have a boat you could put on the river? I ask because you'll have much better luck from a boat if you're bass fishing the Umpqua.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
@jamisonace thank you my friend. I forgot to mention that I'll be on foot, throwing from the bank. And I didn't realized that I'll driving alongside the North Fork. I'm just not at all familiar with that area.

Since it'll be a 4 hour trip home; I don't really want to go south and add to that time. Was just hoping to stop along the North Fork somewhere for a bit, on the way back to Roseburg. Before turning north on I-5, to head home.

jamisonace
You'll want to explore the N Umpqua then. Bring a fly rod and I'll get you dialed in on an area I like.

TheKnigit
There are several raft launches, campgrounds, and pullouts all along the North. Most have some halfway decent bank access trail without needing to swan dive off of a hill. Make sure you check the regulations before you go. There are some special regulations if you are in the fly boundary above and beyond just using a fly.

Fly Area Boundary at Deadline Falls to marker below Soda Springs Dam near power plant enclosure

• Any type of rod or reel permitted.
  • No angling from a floating device.
  • No added weights or attachments (including strike indicators) to line, leader or fly, except non-fly monofilament lines may have a bobber or similar device attached.
  • Gear Restriction: Angling restricted to use of single, barbless artificial fly Jan 1 - Jun 30 and Oct 1 - Dec 31.
  • Gear Restriction: Angling restricted to use of single, barbless, unweighted, artificial fly Jul 1 - Sep 30.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
Good lookin' out. Thank you.