Type of shot gun

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
you cannot have 6 shots waterfowling... or I would still go duck hunting!

well..that sucks LOL.

C
CFishRun
I sold guns for two years and have been shooting shotguns since I could hold one. Personally I've never seen a remington auto jam, and the pumps my family use are flawless. When I'd go hunting (deer w/ slugs) the remington pump wingmaster worked effortlessly and without any trouble at all. I cleaned mine after every use (key to flawless pump/auto performance).

Another reduced cost alternative is a Stoeger (part of the bennelli family). From what hunters have told me they are worth every penny and more. The stoeger owners I talked to, while selling firearms wouldn't pay for a remington or mossberg because their stoeger pumps worked flawlessly.

Another option to look at would be the Stoeger break barrel O/U. It looks like it performs (based on multiple hunter reports while working the gun counter) "rugged." The old shooters said they take their Bennelli, Franchi, Ruger or Browning to shoot clays but they take their Stoeger to the field. It simply delivers and the customer service for some reason is better then Bennilli, whom in my opinion shouldn't be selling firearms based on their terrible customer service.

(many spelling errors sorry)

Again just an opinion but it might be worth something, to someone.

A
adambomb
fishtales said:
Not a single shot that I know of. I kinda figure the single shots would not work

I have hunted with a New England Firearms (H&R) 12 gauge single shot for years now. I have killed countless grouse and pheasant. However I can count how many shots I've missed on one hand. My point being, hunting with a single shot weapon MAKES you a smarter, better shooter because 9 times out of 10 there is no follow up shot opportunity. Oh, and it has yet to jam or misfire.....And they are like $150......And they are super light.....And there are like 4 moving parts......And there are tons of interchangeable barrels.....Did I mention they kick like a friggin mule?

C
capblack
adambomb said:
I have hunted with a New England Firearms (H&R) 12 gauge single shot for years now. I have killed countless grouse and pheasant. However I can count how many shots I've missed on one hand. My point being, hunting with a single shot weapon MAKES you a smarter, better shooter because 9 times out of 10 there is no follow up shot opportunity. Oh, and it has yet to jam or misfire.....And they are like $150......And they are super light.....And there are like 4 moving parts......And there are tons of interchangeable barrels.....Did I mention they kick like a friggin mule?

what if you were trying to kill 2 or 3 birds, or you were shooting slugs at a deer 100 yds away and your first shot missed, then what would your single shot make you? PI$$ED OFF!!!!!

A
adambomb
capblack said:
what if you were trying to kill 2 or 3 birds, or you were shooting slugs at a deer 100 yds away and your first shot missed, then what would your single shot make you? PI$$ED OFF!!!!!

I have shot 3 birds out of a group of 4, its not easy. The second shot was twice as hard as the first one, and the third was twice as long and hard as the second. I always carry a shell in my left hand and even when I only shoot once, reloading has become so natural I don't even remember doing it. I would not recommend a single shot shotgun for water fowl, or deer hunting.

C
capblack
I have to agree with you though, they are VERY dependable, as you said, theres nothing to go wrong, i have owned several h and r / new england firearms in shotguns, and rifles, i prefer the pump for a shotgun, though i did have a nice new england single shot in .223 with the laminated stock, and heavy barell. I loved it for a varmint gun. Brian

F
fishtales
Thanks for the responses. The single shot does sound good but it might not be the right one I'm looking for for the job. Thanks

D
dude young
For what it's worth, I have a Mossberg 835 that I have had for years. It bought it with a short "turkey" barrel on it and have since purchased a 28" barrel for waterfowl. I bought it new for like $275. It can handle 2 3/4" up to the heaviest 3 1/2" Mag loads. You can get a slug barrel for it that either has rifle sites or a scope mount. I love the thing. It has done everything I have ever asked it to do, including row me home when I busted a shear pin on my motor in my little duck boat.

There are as many different shotguns on the market, and equal amounts of opinions. Best advice, buy the one that feels best in your hands, then plan on buying the one next to it in a year.