Tuna on the fly?

V
Van
So, anyone fishing off the OR coast for tuna with their fly rods?

My old man is a long time fixture fishing out of Garibaldi for just about everything. The last few years or so his obsession is tuna, more so than halibut. I have been think about tagging along one of these days to try and hook some tuna on a fly. Of course i would need a 10-12wt rod but that is easily solved.

I'm curious as to what the technique and fly patterns used here in Oregon.

E
eggs
Man Tuna on the fly would be awsome!

V
Van
No one? Certainly someone out there is doing this in Oregon.

T
Thuggin4Life
Year im sure a select few have but its not common. go look at he jigs the troll for tuna and try something that looks similar i guess would be my non flyfishing opinion. Maybe some kind of streamer?

M
metalfisher76
No one? Certainly someone out there is doing this in Oregon.

I`ve been thinkin... I`m sure a member posted on this last year, maybe the one before?? But there is a guide doin it. May only be during el nino tHough, not sure. I want to go! BAD!!

M
mlw
The folks at Caddis Fly Shop were going after them last year, not sure about this year.
Michael

S
skunk

Chuck Stihl (can't remember his guide service name) is one of the few licensed guides that targets tuna on the fly. If your interested. He's out of Hammond Oregon. I can get his info if you'd like.

S
skunk
I`ve been thinkin... I`m sure a member posted on this last year, maybe the one before?? But there is a guide doin it. May only be during el nino tHough, not sure. I want to go! BAD!!

If your serious maybe we could set up a group trip, Chuck's boat is very ocean worth, and he's got the experience out there. I'd like to try it also, just never have enough buddies (none haha) to schedule a trip.

M
metalfisher76
Let`s AT THE VERY LEAST start considering it. It`s prolly a short window to start...closing fast, I`m sure. I know a couple other members that should be licking their chops.

Hmm chops and eggs fer breakfast

D
Drew9870
I would start out tying patterns that resemble commonly used Tuna lures/jigs, Tuna are not my strong point, never been out for them. I would tie some heavy Squid or Minnow patterns, these are a good start for most Ocean species.

V
Van
Nice to see this thread got some legs under it after all. Thanks for the input folks.

Reactions: metalfisher76