Tualitan River?

D
damonspreng
Ok first OFF why id there no thread for this river?

Second I got permission to fish a piece of private land where a huge slough comes off in the back of cornelius and is slow moving deep water. My question is what kind of flies should I use and how should I fish them to catch anything (I just want to catch fish) in a situation like this?

bass
bass
damonspreng said:
Ok first OFF why id there no thread for this river?

Second I got permission to fish a piece of private land where a huge slough comes off in the back of cornelius and is slow moving deep water. My question is what kind of flies should I use and how should I fish them to catch anything (I just want to catch fish) in a situation like this?

If the water is a slough there are probably more bass, pikieminnows, carp and suckers than trout. I do not think you can use bait that far up the river so I would recommend minnow plugs or small crankbaits. If you are set on flies, I would try wooly buggers in various sizes - they catch everything. If there are bass you may also want to try some popping bugs once the water warms up a bit.

D
damonspreng
Ok I really want to use flies but im a spin fishermen too so I know I can catch fish on my spinning setups just want to fly fish. Any dry flies that work well in still water?

Also good flies for carp? Really want to catch some on the fly rod but the only thing I've ever used was dough balls on spinning gear? Actually kind of embarrassed to say but not really sure what carp eat naturally? I know there are avid carp fishermen on here who can help me out in the cap department.

Last edited:
bass
bass
Carp are opportunistic feeders. They eat whatever they can find. Insect larvae, crayfish, vegetation, etc. They tend to not chase their food. John Montana (who is on this site) fly fishes for carp a lot and has a great blog. I believe that he strictly sight fishes for them but I will let him answer for himself.

As for the slough and dry flies. Do you see a lot of fish rising/swirling/splashing? If so then perhaps a Mosquito, midge or Stimulator (caddis) might work. If there is no surface activity I would try searching with a wooly bugger, prince nymph, pheasant tail, midge larva or pupa imitation before trying dry flies. Best of luck.

Gunga
Gunga
bass said:
I would try searching with a wooly bugger, prince nymph, pheasant tail, midge larva or pupa imitation before trying dry flies. Best of luck.

Thats exactly what i was about to say. Me and my uncle were going to drift it this past sunday but decided on the abiqua river instead. we were going to use those flies just mentioned.

D
damonspreng
Ok so just to clerify...

If there is fish surfacing its the only chance I have to get the dry fly bite going if not sick to wet flies.

Unless I see carp there is pretty much no way to target just them? Also knowing they eat just about everything and they don't chase their prey unless site fishing pretty much luck correct?

Also bass pikeminnow carp and suckers prey much all I would catch there.

bass
bass
damonspreng said:
Ok so just to clerify...

If there is fish surfacing its the only chance I have to get the dry fly bite going if not sick to wet flies.

Unless I see carp there is pretty much no way to target just them? Also knowing they eat just about everything and they don't chase their prey unless site fishing pretty much luck correct?

Also bass pikeminnow carp and suckers prey much all I would catch there.

If no surface activity you have a much lower chance of catching fish on a dry fly, not impossible just less likely. You would likely have a better chance with wet flies is another way to say it.

As for targeting carp with flies, I would send a PM to John Montana. My answer is based upon what I have gleaned from his posts. He is the master.

My assessment of the species present was just a guess. The area could be a trout magnet for some reason I do not understand. In the end, I would try my hardest and see what happens. An important rule of fishing is never tell a fish where they have to be or where they can't be :)

O
ORfisherman
Im looking to catch some bass on the Tualitan, preferably up river from Cook Park, anything I need to know or use?

Gunga
Gunga
From the few times i have fished there i have found rooster tails and mini plugs to work best. Red or green rooster tails and natural colors on the mini plugs seemed to be the hot ticket for me.

D
damonspreng
how high up river do you think there are bass? as far up as hillsboro? gaston? whet would you think the"cuttoff" would be for bass fishing?

Gunga
Gunga
damonspreng said:
how high up river do you think there are bass? as far up as hillsboro? gaston? whet would you think the"cuttoff" would be for bass fishing?

I am not sure where the cutoff for bass is on the river but i have caught them all the way up at rood bridge park which is a fair ways from there.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Bass can be found all the way up to Gaston, as can the carp and other warm water fish. THe new bait cutoff - changed this year - is the Hwy 47 bridge at Gaston. Downstream of the bridge you are OK for bait - and upstream is fly & lure only. This is nice, because this opens all the good bass waters to use of soft plastics - arguably the most successful bass lures.