Tualatin River pikeminnow? (2 questions)

D
dub
2 questions for you folks...

1) Pikeminnow on the Tualatin...they've always been active in closer to dusk, but for the past month they've been largely non-existent. Now when they start hitting the top, its basically dark...so is there a good way to catch them at night? Would casting a light onto the water help at all? Your preferred way to catch them? I know they're a garbage fish that are bad for the river...but they're fun to catch, and my kids have a blast with them.

2) Lately I am seeing BIG fish rolling on top of the water. I'm thinking way too big to be a pikeminnow....but now sure what else they would be. Any ideas?

troutdude
troutdude
Is it legal to angle for them, at night? I can't find anything, either way, in the regs. I'd suggest calling the ODFW field office, in Clackamas, to find out.

I
igquick
I smack them ALL DAY AND NIGHT with a hair rig c758af0ba604aff7c9f003c5fb561997.jpg

W
Willerman
I'm 99% sure it's legal to fish for them at night, but it would be worth a peek in the regs. I catch pikeminnow on just about everything.. one day last year I couldn't keep them off when I was fishing with just worms.
The big fish you see rolling are carp. If you want your kids to never stop bugging you about going fishing, target those. They are a blast to catch and fight hard. I usually use a sliding weight above a swivel and sweet corn on a small hook from a 18" or so leader.

D
dub
Willerman;n606771 said:
The big fish you see rolling are carp. If you want your kids to never stop bugging you about going fishing, target those. They are a blast to catch and fight hard. I usually use a sliding weight above a swivel and sweet corn on a small hook from a 18" or so leader.

Ok...that is what I figured. Can you share a picture of how you rig that? Fishing newbie here...so trying to understand that. And are you just dragging that along the bottom? Out in the channel, or along the bank?

D
DrTheopolis
dub;n606754 said:
I know they're a garbage fish that are bad for the river..

They're a not-good-to-eat fish that is very good for the river.