Troutskies this weekend

R
rainbowfisherman
Been waiting to get out for trout for a very long time. I know this cold isn't ideal. But I havce both days open to fish. And ideas? I'm in the Mid Willamette Valley. Was thinking maybe just hitting Walter Wirth or E.E. Wilson in my float tube. Thanks.

C
Combat Chuck
I remember EE freezing up in the past, something to consider with that long walk in. Maybe somebody has a recent report ;)

troutdude
troutdude
That's a really valid point CC. It's gonna be about 11-15 degrees tonight. So, EE may have a thick sheet of ice over it.

A MUCH better bet, would be either Olalla Reservoir or Big Creek Reservoir #2 (upper). Both were stocked 10 days ago, with several 'bows 16" or larger. Olalla also frequently gets small batches of unannounced surplus steelies. It's about 1:10 from Corvallis. Big Creek is about another 20 minutes beyond that (on the north end of Newport).

I would doubt that either of those places are iced over.

troutdude
troutdude
Different suggestion

Different suggestion

That's a really valid point CC. It's gonna be about 11-15 degrees tonight. So, EE may have a thick sheet of ice over it.

A MUCH better bet, would be either Olalla Reservoir or Big Creek Reservoir #2 (upper). Both were stocked 10 days ago, with several 'bows 16" or larger. Olalla also frequently gets small batches of unannounced surplus steelies. It's about 1:10 from Corvallis. Big Creek is about another 20 minutes beyond that (on the north end of Newport).

I would doubt that either of those places are iced over.

P.S. Sorry, had a glitch w/ my computer and didn't realized that this got double posted. Mods?

Last edited:
R
rainbowfisherman
Hi there, p[lans shifted..again. Looks like I'll be waiting a little while.Thanks for the suggestions!

L
loftis13
Hey just a heads up for when you do make it out, i went out to olalla on monday 2/21. not much luck i think it was to cold that day. there were about 3 or 4 boats and the bank was pretty full i was the only one that i saw at least to catch a fish. i only had one bit all day but i landed it was about a 3 pound rainbow beautiful fish. i released it, so its still in there for ya to catch! one of my favorite places to fish i have never been skunked there! GOOD LUCK when ever you make it out. i was in a boat by the way

R
rainbowfisherman
I did make to Walter Wirth for about 45 minutes. Its the only time I had, but better then nothing right? I didn't have any luck. But I saw about 5 fish caught and about 3 others on the bank. So I thought the bite wasn't off at all. Maybe next time when I can get out in my tube:)

J
JamesB
I hit Olalla yesterday (Saturday). It was cold, windy and the fish were not biting, but I still had fun.

R
rainbowfisherman
This weekend is the weekend, any ideas on where to go?