Trout fishing near Swisshome

Utahutes
Never fished for trout on.lske creek. When best time to fish for trout .looking to fish below deadwood to swisshome. Fishing from deadwood to triangle lake
 
Casting Call
U! think about C& R Dec. through Mar. 1 I believe on some creeks it's spawn time. Tony
 
rogerdodger
Are you asking about Lake Creek and it's tributaries from Swisshome to Triangle Lake?
 
Utahutes
rogerdodger said:
Are you asking about Lake Creek and it's tributaries from Swisshome to Triangle Lake?

Yes thinking of doing some trout fishing above swisshome... also up river on way to triangle lKe
 
rogerdodger
Utahutes said:
Yes thinking of doing some trout fishing above swisshome... also up river on way to triangle lKe

It isn't good news for resident trout up there but after a decade in Florence, I can share what I know about the system, from my STEP/ODFW activities and fishing it now and then.

Siuslaw watershed and system are not conducive to resident trout, it's a salmon-winter steelhead-searun cutthroat (SRC) system. The water gets very low and warm for several months each summer, then very high and often floods during winter. At Swisshome, the Siuslaw splits into almost equal sized streams, with Lake Creek heading NE to Triangle Lake and the Siuslaw heading SE to Whittaker (where hatchery steelhead are planted). These are both premium chinook and coho spawning systems and managed as such- you will see for both of them, all tributaries are closed to fishing except just a few listed in Exceptions.

Lake creek and 2 of it's tributaries, Indian, and Deadwood, are currently open for hatchery winter steelhead, they close to fishing on March 31 and re-open for trout from May 22 to Oct 31. But the vast majority of the trout fishing I am aware of up there will be for blueback SRC in late-summer and fall.

I am just not aware of many people targeting resident trout in Lake/Indian/Deadwood creeks. 15K hatchery steelhead smolt are planted in Indian Creek each May, this provides some winter steel to chase up there Jan-March, but that's about it until fall salmon arrive.

cheers, roger
 
  • Like
Reactions: Admin
Utahutes
rogerdodger said:
It isn't good news for resident trout up there but after a decade in Florence, I can share what I know about the system, from my STEP/ODFW activities and fishing it now and then.

Siuslaw watershed and system are not conducive to resident trout, it's a salmon-winter steelhead-searun cutthroat (SRC) system. The water gets very low and warm for several months each summer, then very high and often floods during winter. At Swisshome, the Siuslaw splits into almost equal sized streams, with Lake Creek heading NE to Triangle Lake and the Siuslaw heading SE to Whittaker (where hatchery steelhead are planted). These are both premium chinook and coho spawning systems and managed as such- you will see for both of them, all tributaries are closed to fishing except just a few listed in Exceptions.

Lake creek and 2 of it's tributaries, Indian, and Deadwood, are currently open for hatchery winter steelhead, they close to fishing on March 31 and re-open for trout from May 22 to Oct 31. But the vast majority of the trout fishing I am aware of up there will be for blueback SRC in late-summer and fall.

I am just not aware of many people targeting resident trout in Lake/Indian/Deadwood creeks. 15K hatchery steelhead smolt are planted in Indian Creek each May, this provides some winter steel to chase up there Jan-March, but that's about it until fall salmon arrive.

cheers, roger
Thank you
 
Top Bottom