Trout fishing from the bank

P
pdxstateofmind
Best place to fish from the bank for trout in the fall that’s no more than 2 hrs from Portland?

troutdude
troutdude
Streams or lakes/ponds? If your're thinking about streams you'd better get out there now; as 98% of them close on October 31st for trout. Then it's strictly a lake/pond game. Coastal streams like the Wilson should have some sea run cutties sill to be had.

P
pdxstateofmind
troutdude said:
Streams or lakes/ponds? If your're thinking about streams you'd better get out there now; as 98% of them close on October 31st for trout. Then it's strictly a lake/pond game. Coastal streams like the Wilson should have some sea run cutties sill to be had.
I’m open to whatever has easy bank access and is relatively close to Portland

S
Snopro
pdxstateofmind said:
Best place to fish from the bank for trout in the fall that’s no more than 2 hrs from Portland?
Deschutes River

Reactions: pdxstateofmind and troutdude
305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
Hagg Lake has a ton of bank spots, stocked regularly and productive.

Reactions: bass and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
305to503fishermen said:
X2. I was about to make that same suggestion. With the cooler weather...it should be good.

Reactions: pdxstateofmind
P
pdxstateofmind
305to503fishermen said:
last time I went to hagg was early summer and no luck. Is there a mile marker you know of with good access?

troutdude
troutdude
Summer is less productive at any lake, from the bank, because the fish head for deeper waters. To both avoid predators and to seek cooler temperatures. Which is why I mentioned that the cooler temperatures will begin to make it more productive (as will cloudy / foggy weather). Those 2 factors bring the fish back to shore, from the depths, particularly in the mornings and evenings. 10-4?

Reactions: 305to503fishermen and bass
P
pdxstateofmind
troutdude said:
Summer is less productive at any lake, from the bank, because the fish head for deeper waters. To both avoid predators and to seek cooler temperatures. Which is why I mentioned that the cooler temperatures will begin to make it more productive (as will cloudy / foggy weather). Those 2 factors bring the fish back to shore, from the depths, particularly in the mornings and evenings. 10-4?
Yes thank you. I’m aware of that.

M
MPS
Clackamas, caught my first brown trout at Milo McIver last weekend.

P
pdxstateofmind
MPS said:
Clackamas, caught my first brown trout at Milo McIver last weekend.
Nice Ive been wanting to check this place out. Thanks

KrookedPawn
KrookedPawn
pdxstateofmind said:
I’m open to whatever has easy bank access and is relatively close to Portland
I fish bank from the holes from Elk Rock- Sellwood-Eastpoint Bank and have been catching a lot of wild cutthroat for real while dipping Rapalas for Smallmouth. I just had to mention cause it seems strange how many I’ve seen lately. But in the real getting a bit further towards Mt. Hood is where the real stocked trout are. I fish Salish Ponds off NE 205 a lot. There are two ponds and the first (West) is stocked with Trout late spring and they stay in there and get Big but you have to be real swift. They get fished out in days with the sticking junkies but the ones that stay are worth it. Best toward Hood (Lost Lake. Trillium are closer) like I said but we got options. Hope this rant helps. Cheers.

M
MPS
pdxstateofmind said:
Nice Ive been wanting to check this place out. Thanks
I intend to continue going to that area of the Clackamas through the end of the month, at which point I plan on trying Gales Creek. It's open all year - catch and release after Oct 31. Not as close as McIver but still just about 45 minutes away (N Portland).

T
Trouter
pdxstateofmind said:
last time I went to hagg was early summer and no luck. Is there a mile marker you know of with good access?
I kept a wild and a leftover stock on the 21st of Sept in the NW corner near the streams. Released about 5.
troutdude said:
I am thinking of fishing Wilson for the last time this season next weekend. Any idea how far up I should be fishing?

P
pdxstateofmind
Trouter said:
I kept a wild and a leftover stock on the 21st of Sept in the NW corner near the streams. Released about 5.

I am thinking of fishing Wilson for the last time this season next weekend. Any idea how far up I should be fishing?
Any idea what mile marker that is?

T
Trouter
pdxstateofmind said:
Any idea what mile marker that is?
No, but I fish all over up there. If you look on the maps you can see where scoggens and wall creek flow into the lake. Very NW corner. There are trails that get you close to all kinds of bank fishing. A strategy that works for me, is start close the streams and work toward the main lake from there until you get bites.

P
pdxstateofmind
Trouter said:
No, but I fish all over up there. If you look on the maps you can see where scoggens and wall creek flow into the lake. Very NW corner. There are trails that get you close to all kinds of bank fishing. A strategy that works for me, is start close the streams and work toward the main lake from there until you get bites.
Awesome, great advice