Triple X Guide Service -- Rogue River

S
sportsmanlio
I am considering booking a trip with Jeff Wilkerson of Triple X Guide Service. He told me the bite is good now for salmon and steelhead, and says it might be a good time to book. I called him a few weeks ago, and he told me that it was slow, and I should wait til it picked up. He says it has picked up now.

We would be fishing below the Lost Creek Dam down to Shady Cove. He said that they have got a few steelhead on each of the last three trips, and one salmon.

If I am going to spend the money, is now the best time, or should I wait? He has a trip available this Saturday, and I want to get some advice before I book.

Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
Here is the Rogue report from just 2 days ago, on ODFW's Weekly Rec Report. It looks like the summer run number is awfully low to me.

ROGUE RIVER

To find out more about conservation, management and outreach efforts on the Rogue River, check out the Rogue River page on the ODFW Web site.

River users can find stream flows and temperatures for several Rogue River reporting stations at this website: Rogue River levels.

Rogue River, lower: chinook

Cooler weather may improve chinook fishing in the Rogue. Angling pressure has been light, but anglers that are regularly hitting the river are catching some nice springers. Fall chinook should start showing in the Rogue Bay anytime.

Rogue River, middle: steelhead, spring chinook

Spring chinook and summer steelhead are available. On Tuesday morning the river temperature at Grants Pass was 61oF.

The Rogue is open for adipose fin-clipped rainbow trout. All nonadipose fin-clipped (wild) rainbow trout and all cutthroat trout must be released unharmed.

Rogue River, upper: steelhead

Upper river anglers can choose to fish spring chinook, summer steelhead or trout, and fishing should be good. A total of 104 summer steelhead and 3,539 spring chinook have entered Cole Rivers Hatchery as of July 7. To add to fishing success, hatchery spring chinook were recycled back into the fishery the last couple of weeks, including about 100 chinook released on July 7 at the Dodge Bridge boat ramp. These fish should be available for in the river for the next couple of weeks.

Bank anglers report having success for spring chinook using beads and corkies between the hatchery and Casey Park. Boat anglers report using eggs and Kwikfish with sardines. Anglers may harvest only hatchery spring chinook upstream of Dodge Bridge. Between the Gold Ray damsite and Dodge Bridge anglers may harvest both hatchery and wild spring chinook between July 1 and August 31. The Rogue is open for adipose fin-clipped rainbow trout and steelhead.
rogue river

Rogue River
-ODFW Photo-

Rogue River, above Lost Creek Reservoir: trout

The Rogue River above Lost Creek Dam will be stocked with trout this week. The premier summer trout fishery in the Rogue watershed is the river above Lost Creek Reservoir. This section of the river will be stocked weekly with rainbow trout through Labor Day. Most campgrounds and high use public access sites are stocked, and a map of stocking sites is available. Naturally produced trout are available in tributary streams, along with the South Fork and Middle Fork Rogue River for anglers wanting to fish more secluded areas. Brook trout dominate the tributaries of the upper Rogue, but rainbow, cutthroat and some brown trout are also available.

Reactions: sportsmanlio
K
klamathsteel
GO NOW !!! There's tons of springers right now and they are still in real good shape !! Also some early summer steel swimmin around. :) :)

S
sportsmanlio
Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I can get over there, then!

E
eat, sleep, fish
klamathsteel said:
GO NOW !!! There's tons of springers right now and they are still in real good shape !! Also some early summer steel swimmin around. :) :)

Umm not quite... There is a lot of summer runs in the river, but salmon fishing has slowed down considerably. The good guides have been picking up a couple salmon a day, but it's been pretty slow for them (unless you're snagging).

If you're wondering how Jeff has been doing check him out on Facebook: Wilkerson Fishing Guide | Facebook

S
sportsmanlio
I got skunked. Our guide, Brian, was as good of a guide as I could ask for, but the fish didn't cooperate. My dad caught a small cutthroat (12") and had two more on. I had about a 2 lb fish on, but it ran into weeds and got off.

It was fun, but very disappointing. No salmon or steelhead.

E
eat, sleep, fish
sportsmanlio said:
I got skunked. Our guide, Brian, was as good of a guide as I could ask for, but the fish didn't cooperate. My dad caught a small cutthroat (12") and had two more on. I had about a 2 lb fish on, but it ran into weeds and got off.

It was fun, but very disappointing. No salmon or steelhead.

Sorry you guys didn't get into a big fish. From the reports it sounds like today was a much better day than yesterday.