Too cold!!!

S
smoky
So i went out to high rocks hoping to fish unbothered.but it was so cold my bobber turned into a block of ice.and after an hour of unblocking the eyes to my pole i had to stop cause my line froze to my spool.was wondering if anyone had any tips for winter fishing

B
Bhaley85
I went out saturday and had the same problems.

S
smoky
I saw a guy standing in middle of the river fly fishing and i thought i was crazy for being out there

E
everett464
Use floatant on your line, and Pam on your guides!

S
smoky
Were can i get floatant?

E
everett464
Any place where you can buy tackle should have some sort of fly/line floatant. Folks in the old-days used WD-40, but it has some bad VOCs, and I wouldn't recommend using it.

S
smoky
everett464 said:
Any place where you can buy tackle should have some sort of fly/line floatant. Folks in the old-days used WD-40, but it has some bad VOCs, and I wouldn't recommend using it.

Thanks ill have to pick some up

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I don't know if I've gotten smart or just plain don't like freezing my hiney OFF but in my "Golden Years", which, by the way, are more like the rusted years :sad: , I have decided to do my winter fishing in Safeway, Grocery Outlet, Costco or any other place above freezing. :D

S
steelhead_slayer
I think its 20° colder here. Which makes it almost impossible to fish. I usually let my rod sit in the running water to clear the ice out of the guides.

K
Knot Fishing Sober
I've been to high rocks twice this week and had the same issues. Float was frozen to the line and guides iced out. Second day I used reel magic and it made a difference but still almost impossible to fish. Next weekend should be better temp wise. If you see the tourist looking guy trying to land his first steelie say hello!

Chromatose
Chromatose
ChapStick has been a long time go to item for my winter fishing de-icing needs.

Diehard.png

Last edited:
K
Knot Fishing Sober
^ Now that's fishing! ^

S
SOMCREW
Sections of slow water on the North and Main umpqua are freezing over. Water temps are dropping and not looking to rise until later on this week or the beginning of next week. That being said ,Welcome to Southern Oregon Winter Steelhead SEASON!!! Let the games begin!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

J
Jiggy
You guys have some big brass ones, shriveled though they may be. I'm ready to get out. Didn't know if it was too early or not, but I've got the bug and there's only one cure for that. Using yarnies, and pink worms, any other good ideas?

B
bigboy70
went to high rocks on saturday the oregon city side when look like a god dang ice skating ring