Toilet bowl plunger

2ndChance
I know I know:lol:

Has anyone ever used a toilet bowl plunger for clamming, in particular for soft shelled clams? It's the preferred method up in Sable River, Nova Scotia Canada, where my people are all from.

We wade into the water from the edge of the bar up to about 1 foot deep and look for the show, then plunge about 7 or 8 times real quickly and up pops your clam. Anyone out there ever try that technique?

I need to know if I should strap my plunger on the roof rack for my trip out.......:think:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Well (trying hard to keep a straight face here ;) ) I've never seen folks armed with a plunger searching for clams out here...but maybe if a few brave souls give it a try and are successful...it might catch on. Who knows? Bring yours and start a trend.

F
fredaevans
Now that's a new one; LOVE IT! And why not? Suction is suction and the clams (small ones) won't be buried that deep anyway.

C
CoastieFlo
Wouldnt work....unless you are talking about tiny clams. A 3-4" softshell isn't going to come up from a 1" MAX diameter hole.....not in one piece anyway. Also the sand is going to give way when you push the plunger down, so I dont see how it would get any suction anyway.

Troutski
Troutski
2ndChance said:
I know I know:lol:

Has anyone ever used a toilet bowl plunger for clamming, in particular for soft shelled clams? It's the preferred method up in Sable River, Nova Scotia Canada, where my people are all from.

We wade into the water from the edge of the bar up to about 1 foot deep and look for the show, then plunge about 7 or 8 times real quickly and up pops your clam. Anyone out there ever try that technique?

I need to know if I should strap my plunger on the roof rack for my trip out.......:think:

Sounds like a crappy way to get clams....sorry just couldn't help myself....:redface:

Chuck

2ndChance
CoastieFlo said:
Wouldnt work....unless you are talking about tiny clams. A 3-4" softshell isn't going to come up from a 1" MAX diameter hole.....not in one piece anyway. Also the sand is going to give way when you push the plunger down, so I dont see how it would get any suction anyway.

Have you tried it, NO????:rolleyes:

LOL, I HAVE DONE IT.....did you miss that part? I have caught baskets of large clams this way.;)

There's always one who says it won't work, even after hearing it's a common method in other areas.:lol:

C
chrisohm
That is a sure fire method to getting a clam without using a pump gun that could destroy your clam. The suction will push and pull against the sand and bring the clam to the surface. No hard edges....I may have to try this. It would shave 10min off my time getting my purple varnish clams.

C
CoastieFlo
Ugh, theres always one who doesn't believe someone knows what they are talking about also........

How many years have you clammed in Oregon? I mean not to be a jerk, but I do indeed have some experience on this. I clam many times a year in Florence/Reedsport/Coos Bay....and softshells are predominantly in mud substrate (its like cement when dry), and more than a foot deep. No amount of sucking is going to get something up from that.

Now sand shrimp, that would be a different matter and I might have to experiment with a plunger for that.

2ndChance said:
Have you tried it, NO????:rolleyes:

LOL, I HAVE DONE IT.....did you miss that part? I have caught baskets of large clams this way.;)

There's always one who says it won't work, even after hearing it's a common method in other areas.:lol:

Last edited:
2ndChance
A simple little google search would shed some light on the subject, but noooooo 'It won't work'.....:rolleyes:

Have you ever tried this technique, Coastie? I noticed you "forgot" to answer......
:shock:

Try a search before spouting off.....:lol::lol:;)
http://www.ehow.com/how_8482283_plunge-clams.html

There's several links to articles EXPLAINING THINGS that YOU are UNAWARE of:rolleyes:

Just search clam plunger:lol:

They sell them commercially, did you know that too????...... I guess if your shop does not carry them, they don't exist right?:lol::lol::lol:

Numerous articles even mention how LESS CLAMS ARE BROKEN, but hey, you know eveything right, Coastie, even about what you've never even tried.

You are aware that the EASTERN softshell is not native to Oregon right? Are your clams different? Why not explain how:think::clap::rolleyes: Where do you suppose the EASTERN softshell comes from???

Just because YOU think something does not exist, or does not work in your own little world, does not make it so;)

B
bythesea
I say go for it,,,you try first and write back sooon ... I'll be all over it.:yay:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh hell, just bring the plunger and we'll have a feast...:D

C
CoastieFlo
2ndChance said:
A simple little google search would shed some light on the subject, but noooooo 'It won't work'.....:rolleyes:

Have you ever tried this technique, Coastie? I noticed you "forgot" to answer......

There's several links to articles EXPLAINING THINGS that YOU are UNAWARE of:rolleyes:

They sell them commercially, did you know that too????...... I guess if your shop does not carry them, they don't exist right?:lol::lol::lol:

Numerous articles even mention how LESS CLAMS ARE BROKEN, but hey, you know eveything right, Coastie, even about what you've never even tried.

You are aware that the EASTERN softshell is not native to Oregon right? Are your clams different? Why not explain how:think::clap::rolleyes: Where do you suppose the EASTERN softshell comes from???

Just because YOU think something does not exist, or does not work in your own little world, does not make it so;)

wow. take a pill man.

C
chrisohm
Seems like one person digs in exposed beds while the other wades/plunges in submerged beds. Two different ways/forms of clamming so neither of you are right nor are you wrong, just different. I don't even see why there had to be an argument here at all.

S
salmon_slayer87
2ndChance said:

My question is: whats the point of asking an Oregonian a clamming question...in Oregon???? If you are just going to contradict everything he says? Sounds like an East Coast person to me...just sayin'